Useful plumbing tools?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having had some adventures with a leaking tap that needed new cartridges, a leaking radiator, fitting a new sink trap and installing a new kitchen tap, I've found I need some better or more appropriate tools.

Despite shelling out for a Bahco socket set, the most useful items in my tool bag were:

- six inch adjustable stanley wrench
- eight inch self grip pliers
- water pump pliers

I have PTFE tape, jointing compound, plumbers mait, lots of silicone sealants. What else would be useful to have in the DIY toolbag?

Sponsored Links
plumbers' joist-notching tool

ae235

I found wide jaw adjustable wrench pretty handy as its often difficult to remove a fitting in a tight spot. Also mini pipe cutter, slate tile to avoid setting light to joists while soldering (a bit of rockwool loft insulation works too).

But the best tool, was the plumber my mrs hired, he was a complete tool, who's work I've had to largely redo.

Like rocking horse **** but if you manage to find a pair of these you're golden for the most part. TOP speed wrench made in Japan.

Attachments

• top43899860.jpg
    top43899860.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 541
Sponsored Links

Last one I got cost me £3 second hand :mrgreen:.

You can get them from abroad but you'll pay a lot more for them and of course there's a bit of duty to pay.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Last one I got cost me £3 second hand :mrgreen:.

You can get them from abroad but you'll pay a lot more for them and of course there's a bit of duty to pay.

No duty to pay too low value. Plus free standard shipping. Not for me though I don't do plumbing :whistle: £30 odd quid though I guess.

No duty to pay too low value. Plus free standard shipping. Not for me though I don't do plumbing :whistle: £30 odd quid though I guess.

I said duty, I meant VAT. I believe it's standard rate on anything over £15.

Get a bag of 15mm and 22mm Olives if you have any compression fittings about.

Decent pipe cutter, good length of 15mm and 22mm copper pipe, olive puller, two good quality adjustable spanners.

A couple of 15mm and 22mm couplers and a couple of spare stop valves, just in case.

Old towelling, buckets, sponges, floor cloths and a mop! Followed by some cleaning products, such as Dettox and Jeyes fluid, and yet more cloths (J-cloths, etc). Not necessarily what you were thinking of but nonetheless the householder shouldn't be expected to wipe up and clean his/her own widdle!

Get a bag of 15mm and 22mm Olives if you have any compression fittings about.

Decent pipe cutter, good length of 15mm and 22mm copper pipe, olive puller, two good quality adjustable spanners.

A couple of 15mm and 22mm couplers and a couple of spare stop valves, just in case.
Have 15mm compression fittings. Nothing in the house has 22mm pipework as far as I can tell. I bought a rothenberger pipe cutter which seemed to work pretty well. With adjustable spanners, is there a good or preferred brand?

Not necessarily what you were thinking of but nonetheless the householder shouldn't be expected to wipe up and clean his/her own widdle!
This would be all for my own home, so using old towels and the wife's clothes should be fine!

This would be all for my own home, so using old towels and the wife's clothes should be fine!
The comments about having a means of mopping up floods were meant sincerely and stem from experience in the past of fitting replacement kitchens. The comment about Jeyes fluid, whilst meant partially in jest, is also serious - if you ever need to deal with the stench from a leaking or failed soil pipe that has blocked-up before overflowing you'll understand that the one way to neutralise the smell (and kiil the bugs) is to use Jeyes.

I use Bahco adjustable spanner / wrenches at home and they are very well made (as good as my Snap-on ones at work imho).

I use Bahco adjustable spanner / wrenches at home and they are very well made (as good as my Snap-on ones at work imho).

My Bahco thin jaw adjustable lives in my rucksack. One of the best £25(ish) purchases that I have ever made. Particularly useful when using two adjustable spanners at the same time.

Using cheaper brand adjustable spanners irks me. Hold them upside down and the jaw drops down by about 1mm. I don't doubt that their are better brands of adjustable spanners but I have never come across one (have never tried the Snap-on one though).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back