Top and Bottom Stairs 2-Way Switches not working correctly

Sponsored Links
theres nothing wrong, but you would need a LIVE at one switch and the SWITCHLINE at the other, which the OP does not have, he has both SWITCHLINE and LIVE at the same switch, with the other switch paralleled off it.

Oh, how does it compare with a normal switching situation with L and SL? I know using 3+e can cause induction between the two adjacent cores, but I didn't realise that about emi, as it's still just 50hz mains.

theres nothing wrong, but you would need a LIVE at one switch and the SWITCHLINE at the other, which the OP does not have, he has both SWITCHLINE and LIVE at the same switch, with the other switch paralleled off it.
True - 'fraid I got derailed by the argument about using 2 cores for strappers.

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise that about emi, as it's still just 50hz mains.

The 50 Hz is an issue mainly for interfering with HiFi and hearing aids. You would probably also get harmonics in the audio range.
I don't think high frequency EMI will tend to radiate from that sort of loop.

Sorry my point about emi is I don't see what's special about using t&e that could make it worse. I'm aware you'll get some radiation from any live conductor but I don't see what the specific core usage is that would be a problem with t&e.

The point is whether you have two adjacent conductors cancelling each other or a single loop.
What conductors would be classed as cancelling from an emi point of view? I assume neutral, but short of running the neutral and live together and switching both I can't see a solution.

3+e can actually have other problems if it's wired wrong for example capacitance between live and switched live or different Strappers.

Good point about the lives in different directions - so based on that wiring 2 way switches with t&e would be as good as 3&e. And seems you need to connect the live and the load at the same "end" in either case.

so based on that wiring 2 way switches with t&e would be as good as 3&e.
No, because you only have single conductors.

And seems you need to connect the live and the load at the same "end" in either case.
You would (the switch drop) but you can't have two-way switches with T&E as the strappers - the case in this thread.

I shall re post my diagram - follow the current

upload_2017-5-10_22-6-20-png.118986

Not only EMI, but also there is a distinct likelihood of having live and neutral taken from different circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back