Top and Bottom Stairs 2-Way Switches not working correctly

Sponsored Links
You can wire 2-way switches with only 2 cores and an earth, provided that you have a separate neutral wire available to the lamp. This is very common in older setups, although no longer recommended. See the first 2-way diagram at the link. The second 2-way diagram shows the recommended 3-core + earth wiring.

BAS, due to your usual criticism of my posts, and your obvious agreement of every word of the above quoted post. Please explain why it is "no longer recommended" to use the singles method for 2 way wiring. And why the "3-core + earth" is recommended.

Also can you explain how this works "You can wire 2-way switches with only 2 cores and an earth, provided that you have a separate neutral wire available to the lamp."

Have a nice day

BAS, due to your usual criticism of my posts, and your obvious agreement of every word of the above quoted post. Please explain why it is "no longer recommended" to use the singles method for 2 way wiring. And why the "3-core + earth" is recommended.

Also can you explain how this works "You can wire 2-way switches with only 2 cores and an earth, provided that you have a separate neutral wire available to the lamp."

Have a nice day
Reactive push and a
Thought the 2 wires in the bottom switch hinted at that but thought would just check with some more knowledge people.

Looks like it might be the timer switch option.
Or an electronic dimmer with multiway switching using reactive pushes, i.e. lightwave RF or Varilight. Only two wires required exactly the same as mechanical time switches.

DS

Last edited:
To clarify for the OP -

You can wire 2-way switches with only 2 cores and an earth, provided that you have a separate neutral wire available to the lamp. This is very common in older setups, although no longer recommended. See the first 2-way diagram at the link. The second 2-way diagram shows the recommended 3-core + earth wiring.
It is nothing to do with the neutral.
The light must already have a neutral available to it otherwise it would not be working.

What is not present and is needed is a line conductor to the other switch.
This can either be by a third strapper (conductor) running between the switches - the three strapper conversion method, or
a conductor from a supply (today this must be from the same circuit) to the other switch - the two strapper conventional method.

upload_2017-5-10_22-6-20.png

Assuming all the black cores are switched lives, isn't the quick fix just to swap the wires in the top switch? Do you have a picture of the ceiling rose wiring?
No.

Edit - symbol altered

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it just me or is that drawing misleading, at first glance it looks like a neutral at the switches and is that the proper symbol for a lamp.
Apoligies EFLI if its your drawing :)

EFLImpudence, the problem with your description and drawings is, you have no idea how the lights are connected to the switchline. They could all be at one end as you have assumed, or they could be taken off at each floor level.

iann iann said "You can wire 2-way switches with only 2 cores and an earth, provided that you have a separate neutral wire available to the lamp. This is very common in older setups, although no longer recommended. See the first 2-way diagram at the link. The second 2-way diagram shows the recommended 3-core + earth wiring.

Have a nice day

Is it just me or is that drawing misleading, at first glance it looks like a neutral at the switches
I don't think so - it's only a neutral after the load.
and is that the proper symbol for a lamp.
No, sorry I forgot the cross.

Apoligies EFLI if its your drawing :)
Not a problem -

I only did it quickly to explain to the OP.

It was just a diagram to show the OP the differences between the methods, and
to show that the point raised about supplying a neutral is irrelevant.

However -

EFLImpudence, the problem with your description and drawings is, you have no idea how the lights are connected to the switchline.
What do you mean by how? How else could it be?

Do you think it is other than connected to the switched line?

They could all be at one end as you have assumed, or they could be taken off at each floor level.
There are only two cables at the switch.

BAS, due to your usual criticism of my posts
If you are finding that criticism is usual, then think on about that that must be because it is usual for your posts to deserve criticism.

and your obvious agreement of every word of the above quoted post.
If you think that is obvious then you need to return your thinking part for a refund or a replacement, as yours is not fit for purpose.

Please explain why it is "no longer recommended" to use the singles method for 2 way wiring. And why the "3-core + earth" is recommended.
So - you don't understand something written.

But rather than ask the person who wrote it to explain, you have decided to ask someone who didn't write it.

What was I saying just now about your thinking part being broken?

Err... Remind me who wrote that?

I could explain why twin&earth is not recommended as the wire between the 2-way switches, since I wrote it, but seriously do you not know?

You are quite right, it isn't.

But it is a way to do 2-way switching.
To be honest I was confused when you said this, though Its not hard for me to get confused.
I take it you mean using a dodgy 3rd core is a way but not an ACCEPTABLE way

I could explain why twin&earth is not recommended as the wire between the 2-way switches, since I wrote it, but seriously do you not know?
I don't either, what's wrong with using t&e in a 2 way switching situation?
I'm planning to do exactly that, in fact 2no 2 way switches and one 1way switch (3gang)on 3no t&e cables for our kitchen lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back