Top Hand saws ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought different hand saws over the years but was wondering which one is the best saw for the money there are loads on the market some for less than a fiver.

What do you guys recon is the best for under £15

Cheers

Leigh

Sponsored Links
Always rated the Jack Universals. Been using them for the best part of 15 years as a general builder. Tried a few others, never been overly impressed with anything else.

Sponsored Links
Me too, every now and again the Irwin's can be had from BM's for under a fiver on promo, I usually buy a few at a time and store in the shed until needed.

It depends what you mean by quality saws and what sort of work you are doing. All the modern hard points are about the same for general work but if you are doing quality woodwork go for S/H genuine Disstons on E-Bay. There are Disston equivalents for a price at Axminster tools. Remember for quality work you need at least 2, one crosscut and one rip saw, they have different shape teeth, a rip saw will not cut successfully across grain and a crosscut will work well with the grain.

My old gaffer (god rest his soul) spent 3 hours sharpening a saw once and when he tried it it wouldn't cut shoite!

He didn't have a saw tooth set so the thing just jammed as you tried to push it through. :rolleyes: He slung it in the pond.

Thank goodness for throw away Irwin Jacksaws. :LOL:

As stated it depends what and how you want to cut. We use jack saws for general stuff and the stand mounted De Walt for everything else.

I do have a fine toothed saw for when i need it though.

......and a tenon saw.

sea angler,im with you here m8,anything but the cheap shoite jack saws.
i find the blade too bendy and the handle is even worse,
it does come down to personal preference,what works for some will not work for others.

bahco barracudu for me! but don't buy the standard blue only handle ones as the thin blade is a headache

I like the Irwin Jack tenon saw, I use it to cut most small pieces of wood and plastic. Best saw I ever had.

Regards

G

I've been in construction for 30 years now and of course started with sharpenable saws of which the diston was very popular. Nowadays , however, we all use hardpoints. We use them and then they are quite often passed on to the masons for cutting out their joints before finally being discarded.
I've used several types of hardpoints and tend to prefer the universal jacksaws of the type favoured by the first responder to this topic. The orange handled ones are good for general work whilst the finer pointed blue handled ones are better for neater works such as architraves and the like.
I've tried other saws over the years. The Stanley jetcut wasn't a bad saw at all but recently our storeman has brought in some cheaper types. All have been poorer than the jack. We currently have had a yellow handled Draper saw to try out and this again is poor, an old jack (without a trace of the writting on the blade) still cuts better than a brand new Draper.
One thing that does bug me a little is that there isn't (or if there is it's very good at hiding) a hardpoint saw with teeth ground specifically for ripping. All of the universal saws claim to cut both across and with the grain but we find the ripping claims to be nowhere as good as claimed. I still have an old half rip saw that can outperform a hardpoint. This does of course need sharpening every so often.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back