Torque wrench recommendation and size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a good torque wrench for occasional use? The most immediate job is to tighten the nuts on a towbar to 134 NM.

Also, regarding the size, most specs state half-inch or three-eighths inch. Does this refer to the fitting width on the rear of each socket? If so should this be measured from corner to corner or side-to-side of the rear recess of a socket?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The measurement is normally half inch square drive
or for smaller three eights or even one quarter inch square drive.
Larger would be three quarter or one inch square drive, this is the realms on commercial vehicle equipment.

Britool, Snap-on or Draper would be reasonable makes, have a look in Halfords, buy one with sufficient torque for future larger jobs, as long as it encompasses the range you require.

Wotan

In my experience for vehicle mechanics you need two. A larger one for wheel nuts etc that probably goes from 50-150 then a smaller one for bolts etc which goes from 80 down,

Thanks for the replies. Could you explain how to measure the socket size - is it the width of the square socket on the rear of each socket?

Sponsored Links
A half-inch socket has a cut-out which is half-inch by half-inch. ie it's the flat not the diagonal.
I have used a Kamasa torque wrench for several years when working on my motorbike. I got it after it was a Best Buy in a Car Mechanics Magazine (Autocar?). It has a range of 10 to 150 ft/lb although I have another wrench which only goes up to 30 ft/lb for finer tolerances at the low end. Here's one similar to mine which I would recommend ...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kamasa-SP3780-inch-Torque-Wrench/dp/B0012M7RR4

if you think you need one then Britool is good, snapon is over priced. the job you are doing is 98 pounds that is as tight as you will get it with a standard wrench, I would not bother with a torque wrench for that.

Thanks for the replies. Could you explain how to measure the socket size - is it the width of the square socket on the rear of each socket?
Yes across the flats half inch square, the size of the socket its self, either metric or imperial will be stamped / etched on the socket itself.

You don’t need a torque wrench for that setting unless it’s a bearing pre-load application, which yours isn’t. As already advised, just heave on it with an ordinary ring spanner or socket until it stops; it''ll be tight enough & unless you have a 2ft long spanner or are very, very strong you ain’t gonna break it. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back