torrents.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can some one tell me how i can find my firewall to allow me to get torrents through it. tried port forwarding and still cant get it to work. the firewall i think was installed by the shop i got it repaired at which has now shut down. it was like their own special antivirus and firewall thing??

Sponsored Links
Have you done a google search, there is a forum out there (I will have a look in a few mins) that tells you how to find it & do it, I remember years ago when I jst started d/loading

You would probably be better looking at the FAQ of your router and firewall.

Sponsored Links
Firewalls can be in your PC, in your router, or both. If you don't have a router, then it won't be there.

Next you have to find out what your firewall software is. Easiest would be to show us a list of running programs. Hold down Ctrl and Shift, then press Esc. Let go. The task manager appears. Click the Processes tab. Hold the Alt key then press PrtScrn (Print Screen or some other variation). If you have a wacky keyboard like I do (Microsoft Media one), you might have to do something special (like pressing F-LOCK) to get PrtScrn to work.
Now click Start. Click Run. Type MSPAINT and press return. On Edit menu, click Paste. Now save the image on your desktop. Use the forum upload images feature to upload it. We can then look at the names and figure out what your firewall software is.

Alternately you can download a tool called HijackThis, which is used by experts to see what is running and what is installed in common places virii like to hide. Do a "System Scan and Save a Log" and then copy and paste the log here

Skow, you really have to give more information.

Like what is the name of the firewall thingy thats been installed?
Have you tried the Windows firewall?

Have you tried the firewall in your modem/router? (have you got one there?)

You can find the std Windows firewall in "Control Panel".

If you have one your router firewall may well be found by web browsing to 192.168.0.1 but it depends upon your router model.
You will also need to know the username & password for it.

What is the device that you use to connect your PC to the internet, make & model?

Port forwarding is used to punch a hole in your routers firewall. It is called port forwarding because it only punches the hole for the ip address used by your pc.

Torrent clients will normally still work even with out the port being forwarded but you will not achieve max speeds.

If you are having problems with a software firewall installed by someone else you could just disable the firewall and see if the program works. The firewall will deny the torrent client program access to the internet until you grant permission. Try to hover over the icons in the system tray (bot right of screen) until you find the firewall- then look for program permissions or alike- find your torrent program in the list and grant the permissions.

If you are using xp or vista then you could just use the free built in firewall- not advisable unless you are behind a router. In this case you could just delete the firewall but it might take your antivirus with it.

The shop would have used a firewall/av program from a big firm.Once you have identified your firewall post back for more help- you may still need to port forward for your router.

edit-----------------

by the way to prot forward you will need to know which port your torrent client uses- which program is it?

also if you want to download torrents some browsers can do this automatically- eg the browser opera can do this

http://www.opera.com/download/

When you install opera if your firewall asks for permissions then grant them- you will now be able to get opera to download the torrents for you.

More torrent advice here

http://www.imaginarynumber.co.uk/utorrent

Sponsored Links
Back