TORX screw heads OK

Sponsored Links
Yes, quite a lot, but I don't see why you'd need to apply much torque to a 4x50mm screw.

I don't really but I was thinking that as I have so many to drive in that I'm more likely to get less chance of the bits jumping & rounding off the head

I have just completed a large roof whilst using nothing but regular screws, (75mm 4's and 5's mostly) all 1400 of them and all were posi's and very few jumped.

More to do with the driver than anything. We use a Milwaukee impact fella and it is a beast.

The most annoying thing is when using a new bit, the snugness of the fit means that the bit stays behind in the screw head when pulling the driver away. This then (sometimes) falls to the ground meaning a trip down the scaffold or pulling a new bit out of the box.

Good job i bought a box of fifty.

Sponsored Links
I have just completed a large roof whilst using nothing but regular screws, (75mm 4's and 5's mostly) all 1400 of them and all were posi's and very few jumped.

More to do with the driver than anything. We use a Milwaukee impact fella and it is a beast.

The most annoying thing is when using a new bit, the snugness of the fit means that the bit stays behind in the screw head when pulling the driver away. This then (sometimes) falls to the ground meaning a trip down the scaffold or pulling a new bit out of the box.

Good job i bought a box of fifty.

That's why you shouldn't rely on a magnetic holder. Get one of these:
Image.aspx

I have just completed a large roof whilst using nothing but regular screws, .

I've just built a playhouse and most of the screws were slotted 3x10 's and 2x 12's in stainless with little problem using a cordless. Agree with what noseall says about using the driver. If you go for the torx that's fair enough and your own decision but check you don't just thump the screws in on full torque, use the control on your drill to help prevent oversinking of the screws or splitting of the timbers.

That's why you shouldn't rely on a magnetic holder. Get one of these:
Image.aspx
I've got one but they are a little bit bulky and we need to screw in tight places sometimes using more than one extender. You often leave an extender behind also. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back