Torx

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have always used Pozidrive screws in preference to Philips and cross head, but even Pozi sometimes cams out. Consequently, I've decided to invest in Torx screwdrivers and screws in future.
Are there any disadvantages to Torx?
Also, which are the most common sizes?
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The one disadvantage is generally that the driver has to be in line with the screw - so no driving the screw at a slight angle because there is something partly in the way, like a joist or a pipe. AFAIK there are no standard sizes - manufacturers are making them up as they go along at the minute but they are also supplying Torx bits in the boxes (at least the stuff I see), so not too bad

I’ve found the torx screw cams out more than a pz at higher speed in say wood so stick with pozi. You tend to find them on pre or partly assembled items like furniture or white goods where a low speed or manual screwdriver is suitable.

Blup

Sponsored Links
if you buy decent screws like the turbo gold, woodspur or spax, then you wont have an issue

i am torx only, and the only semi issue is you have to have T10, 15, 20, 25 so on and so forth, but in a pinch you can use 1 size down e.g. a 15 in a 20.

about the driver being inline, that is not true, and i know from experience., you can be off the head by about 15 degrees and still drive the screw

Thank you all for your advice. I seem to already have a small number of Torx bits, so I should buy a few screws and try them for myself. It's just that from what I have read they are far less likely to cam out than even Pozi, so we'll see.
I've just dug out some security screwdriver bits, among which are: T8, T10,T15,T20, T25, T27, T30, T35 and T40 (This stamped with 'CR-VT-40' - not sure what all that refers to). These, however, are all security bits, those with a hole in the middle. I don't know whether that would make any difference in practice.

i find the bits do not last very long , at least the ones i had in various kits, I used a load on a Windows seat/cupboard and in garage. So i purchased some decent impact torx bits - which worked much better.
I have 4 different lengths and sizes of screw 4/5mm (8/10 old) ALL T20 heads, job lot of 2x200 screws of each of 4 size, so have 1,600 screws to use

Last edited:
i find the bits do not last very long , at least the ones i had in various kits, I used a load on a Windows seat/cupboard and in garage. So i purchased some decent impact torx bits - which worked much better.
I have 4 different lengths and sizes of screw 4/5mm (8/10 old) ALL T20 heads, job lot of 2x200 screws of each of 4 size, so have 1,600 screws to use
Could you tell me the brand of the impact torx bits, please?

If a tradesman came into my house to do a job and wanted to use only torx screws he'd get told to get the F outa my house.
I own the house, I need to be able to modify/dismantle etc. anything installed in it, I have ample PH/PZ screwdrivers, I'm not buying a torx set just because someone prefers to use them.

I suspect many others feel the same.

Just something to consider if your using them as a tradie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back