Torx

Point taken, but they are now quite a common screw type in many disciplines, the bits are cheap and commonly now included with most sets of bits. I first came across them back in the 70's working on my cars, but they only appeared in certain components of cars back then. My current car has a mix of T and Pz throughout it's build.

Sponsored Links
DIYer only - but i purchased these , having ruined T20 in various sets of Bits
Usually I prefer Bosch , but son-in-law has loads of Wera tools, bits etc , too rich for my DIY use. But they may last that much longer and be Value for money at end of day
I do have some wera kits on the xmas list....
https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-impact-rated-torsion-bits/p76861
and
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-hex-shank-tx20-impact-screwdriver-bits-3-pack/12555

I did get a wera PZ1 for some very small screws i was using on a few piano hinges for a window seat, and it did seem much better quality and has lasted well, look like new after using in an impact driver with about 100+ screws - not much but as mentioned just a DIYer
https://www.toolstation.com/wera-bitorsion-diamond-25mm-bit/p40812

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Not in the same league - Erbauer bits snap like carrots when subjected to high torque - the name might sound German, but they are in fact Chinese and a house brand of SFX. They are OK for use in a drill/driver, but that's all I find. Haven't tried the current DW Tx bits yet but I have tried their PZD#2 bits and been less that impressed. Unless you are driving massive quantities, the Wera extra hard bits (which are somewhat cheaper than Impaktors) are excellent too. Similarly the "other" German make, Wiha, are good quality

Found a table in some printed stuff about which sizes of Torx fastener should be used with which size thread:

M3 - T10
M3.5 - T15
M4 - T20
M5 - T25
M6 - T30

Hopefully the same should apply to wood screw sizes

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer Torx over Pozi drive, Spax screws seem well made.

Torx has been around for donkey's years.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
I'll think I'll file this thread with the other recent "which screw" thread where the 'benefits' of various screw makers designs were discussed.

Torx fixings were designed for high torque engineering fixings, not timber.

Take one driver, one Phillips headed screw and one torx head screw and they will go in just the same.

Take one driver, one Phillips headed screw and one torx head screw and they will go in just the same.
Not in my experience.
I've tried both Philips and Pozidrive and have found that Philips cam out far more often than Pozi.
Even so, I have found that Pozi are not immune to camming out, so I thought I'd try Torx, but not now - too much on before Christmas!

Not in my experience.
I've tried both Philips and Pozidrive and have found that Philips cam out far more often than Pozi.
Even so, I have found that Pozi are not immune to camming out, so I thought I'd try Torx, but not now - too much on before Christmas!
Yes Phillips may slip more than posi, as they are less tolerant of powered drivers and angled driving, but most significant reason is technique.

I only ever read about "cam out" on the internet, it's like someone mentioned it years ago and people just repeat it verbatim.

Yes it happens, but only very rarely in set of specific circumstances (all of which are avoidable). But all I read is 'Phillips/pozi screws cam out, so I must use torx to stop this.'

As JohnD says phillips were originally designed to cam in engineering applications. Pozi came along to improve on this, then Torx. There is something in it but as much marketing hype as anything else.

Blup

Yes Phillips may slip more than posi, as they are less tolerant of powered drivers and angled driving, but most significant reason is technique.

I only ever read about "cam out" on the internet, it's like someone mentioned it years ago and people just repeat it verbatim.

Yes it happens, but only very rarely in set of specific circumstances (all of which are avoidable). But all I read is 'Phillips/pozi screws cam out, so I must use torx to stop this.'

It may well be my technique, but having tried Philips and Pozi and found the latter works better for me but still with the occasional cam out, I want to try Torx and see for myself.
I already have some Torx bits which I've never used (came with other sets) and I'd like to try them just out of interest.

If ever you've used phosphate plasterboard screws and a Phillips bit, you'll know that the two fit with engineering precision and I would challenge anyone to get any slippage of the bit. In fact if you just put the screw on the bit, it can actually be a struggle to pull it off again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back