What's a good Philip's screwdriver make ?

Thanks for all your advice I did buy the halfords set, which seems ok, but not amazing
I particularly like the stubby handled one, the handle feels a bit skinny on the normal sized cross head one, so I dont think I could get as much leverage as my last one.

The flat blade ones are excess to my needs really as I still have ones from many many years ago, so I would have preferred just one or two really good cross head ones.

It's mainly woodwork I deal with as a diyer so I guess mostly pozi screws.

The couple of problems I.can think of are old door hinge screws I couldn't remove with my drill /driver and a dewalt pozi head, had to drill out a couple and get mole grips on them.

A upvc window handle that needed replacing but I had to drill the screw in the end so very time consuming .

Maybe I should get an impact screwdriver (that you hit with a hammer ?) to get the old screws movng before I use either the normal screwdriver or drill driver, which knackers the heads when it spins out.

Or could I use the drill driver on hammer setting ?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
If you try a few correct (and a few incorrect) screwdrivers in screw heads, when neither is already damaged, you will get to recognise the firmness and solidity of a perfect fit, in contrast to a non-fit.

The couple of problems I.can think of are old door hinge screws I couldn't remove with my drill /driver and a dewalt pozi head,
These should always be slotted screws, as the slot is easy to clear out, and a manual driver not cordless.

The couple of problems I.can think of are old door hinge screws I couldn't remove with my drill /driver and a dewalt pozi head, had to drill out a couple and get mole grips on them.

A upvc window handle that needed replacing but I had to drill the screw in the end so very time consuming .

Maybe I should get an impact screwdriver (that you hit with a hammer ?) to get the old screws movng before I use either the normal screwdriver or drill driver, which knackers the heads when it spins out.

Or could I use the drill driver on hammer setting ?

Thanks again

If the screws are stiff try tightening, then loosening them. This often unseizes them. A little 3 in 1 oil judiciously applied might also help.

Hitting them with an impact driver will probably damage the screw hole.

Do not use the drill driver on hammer setting, it will just cam out and damage the screw even more.

Blup

Sponsored Links
If the screws are stiff try tightening, then loosening them. This often unseizes them. A little 3 in 1 oil judiciously applied might also help.

Giving the screwdriver a tap with a hammer can often help jar them loose too. Another way, is to get a sacrificial screwdriver red hot, then insert it onto the screw to heat it up a little. The expansion of the screw in the thread can help free it.

@opps - might I suggest that you gather up your pulpit and book of words and get ye into the worlde to preach the good word - to every decorator I've ever worked with (and from anecdotal evidence, many, many, many more)!

They list them as "cross point" without saying if they are Phillips or Pozidriv.
tenor.gif

edit: On zooming in , they are Phillips, the picture didn't load at all first time.

The yellow ones are pozidrive, I have 2 of these sets, I've used them for years for both mechanical work and domestic DIY, good quality.

You need this set

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...-advanced-8-piece-screwdriver-set-250365.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back