Total beginner needs inspiration and advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am a complete beginner to all this but at the 'ripe' age of 49 I have decided that I will create my first vegetable garden. Tomorrow I am collecting a greenhouse (8x6) which I found at a giveaway price and this will mark the start of my plot. I intend to make raised beds for nearly all my vegetables. I have taken this week off work to get things going so the greenhouse will be up and running on Tuesday.

What I need to know is, what do I need to do regarding soil preparation and what should I be growing first in the greenhouse. A planting calender would be very helpful.

So any encouragement, inspiration and good luck vibes you can offer will be muc appreciated.

Mel :cool:

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do before any soil preperation is to plan. Various vegetables benefit from different types of soil preperation. Pop to the library or a bookshop and get yourself a book, or have a trawl through the websites. Work out what you actually want from the plot. What would you like to grow and eat and in what quantities. That way you plan a rotation for the beds and what sort of soil conditions and when it needs doing. At this time of year you will be starting to look towards your winter crops or short term summer crops eg raddishes etc. some vegetables like a heavy soil, some a heavily manured rich soil etc etc, so do a bit of reasearch and youll avoid unecessary work.

Welcome to the world of gardening, enjoy it! :LOL:

WOW a reply already, thanks Thermo.

A neighbour has loaned me a book called Vegetable & Herb Expert. There certainly seems to be a lot to think about. Should I concentrate on starting something off in the greenhouse first while I build and plan out the raised beds?

Mel

you could get things like your parsnips, autumn carrots, swedes etc started off as seedlings. Be carful of the greenhouse, though as it will get very hot in there and thye will need water on a regular basis to avoid drying out. You could also consider getting some late potatoes, which will give you a winter crop and are excellent for breaking up the ground ready for next year.

have a look on the web at sites like mr-fothergills.co.uk to get things like that.

Sponsored Links
You could also look at River Cottage Garden Yearbook, which has informative sections on seaonality. Also John Seymours book of complete guide to self sufficiency.

Best, to forget any mantra with these books, but stick to the ideas that suit you and your lifestyle.

I wish you the best of luck with your new garden. You'll be amazed at how different veg taste when just picked.

ill second that. Its all a learning process. what works one year may not another. Nature always finds a way of overcoming things (and weeds do!) For the last two years ive thrown bean seeds into unprepared ground and had masses of them. this year ive dug trenches, lined them with paper, filled them with compost and ive had poor results. Dont be anal about oh i must do this and that just because the book says so, theres something to be said about letting nature do some of the work.

dont make it a chore, enjoy it and learn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back