Total failure of loft water tank - flooded house for 8 hours

My neighbours suffered a similar incident while they were away on holiday.

In their case the ball actually came off the arm, allowing water to enter the tank at mains pressure. The tank overflow couldn't cope with this much water and so the whole house flooded. They lived in a hotel for the best part of a month whilst the whole house was dried out, replastered, rewired etc.

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be covered by your house insurance - they certainly were. The ceilings/walls/wiring etc should be covered if you have extended 'buildings' cover which covers accidental damage.

I would imagine your contents would be covered under a standard 'contents' policy.

Sponsored Links
I don't know much about these things, but the overflow (warning) pipe is always a size bigger than the supply pipe, i though this was meant to give a pretty good chance that it could cope with the flow? especially as it is being restricted by passing through a ball-valve?

Na 15mm mains through a ball valve will deliver more water than a 22mm overflow will get rid off

then the overflow doesn't fulfil its purpose :confused:

Sponsored Links
That will be why they call it a warning pipe, warns you that you are about to be flooded. :LOL: :LOL:

namsag is correct, a high flow ball valve if it fails completely with full mains pressure feeding it, will flow enough water to overwhelm a single 22mm overflow very quickly, especially with the Screened Overflows kits now used... if you want this sort of protection, you are looking at needing 2 - 3 warning fittings, and if your using a 22mm inlet valve then it is certainly something you need to be considering carefully

Came home from work last week to a complete flooding disaster! Loft, half of upstairs and many items downstairs damaged. Probably can't claim on insurance because it was my own fault - I installed the water cistern a few months back!
You should read your insurance policy carefully. The damage caused by the flooding may be covered, even if it is your fault. What most policies do not cover is the cost of putting right the fault which caused the flooding!

I learnt this from my brother, who had a flooded kitchen caused by nothing more than a loose hose connection on his washing machine. The insurance paid for the new vinyl floor and other work required in the kitchen, but left it to my brother to make sure the hose connection was tight :!: :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back