Total rewire or repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

While pulling some new wire through the wall cavity for another project I used a borescope to find my draw tape and found the attached.

It's a 120 year old barn, converted around 22 years ago.

Is this fixable or do I need a full rewire and would that include everything up to the upstairs bathroom light?
20220611125223684.jpg
20220611125351646.jpg
20220611125358617.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it is not affecting the circuit in question you are probably ok for the time being. But it looks like it has been gnawed by a rodent and so the problem may come back.

Best to chop it out and joint the two ends of the cable with a suitable connector.

Blup

Thanks. Definitely mouse. I can see the dead ****er laying there with his dead friends.

Not a fire hazard?

Not clear in pics but one of the t&e looks like both L/N exposed.

Wonder how many others there are

If it is not affecting the circuit in question you are probably ok for the time being. But it looks like it has been gnawed by a rodent and so the problem may come back.
Not just "may come back" - similar rodent damage may already be much more extensive that the one instance that the OP has so far detected. Unfortunately, no amount of 'testing' (of any sort) will necessarily detect that sort of damage (or 'worse'), so 'total inspection' (which entails 'total exposure/access') is the only real way, if one want to "find out".

It goes without saying that even a complete re-wire would not guarantee that the problem didn't come back, unless the new wiring were unusually protected from mechanical (including rodent!) damage or the rodents could be eradicated, and denied access for evermore!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I spotted it earlier in the garden office and repaired it by pulling new circuits. I left blank 1-gang patress box and covers to periodically stuff with poison. I guess I'll have to do the same here.

Budget dictates I patch this one and plan in a rewire soon.

Balanced view though - this is 20 years in operation so not great but not terrible considering I live in a farm field

You don't necessarily need a rewire, you simply need to repair or replace whatever if damaged.

However, as there may be parts you just cannot inspect, some thoughtful consideration will be required here.

The rodent problem needs firmly sorting out once and for all.

Budget dictates I patch this one and plan in a rewire soon.
If you "need a re-wire soon" (for other reasons), then fair enough, but I certainly wouldn't suggest that you have a rewire solely because you have found that one bit of rodent damage.

I think that there has to be some pragmatism. I live in a very large house which, like yours, is in a pretty rural location, such that rodents (particularly mice) are an inevitable fact of life which cannot, as has been suggested, really be "sorted once and for all" :) One can, and should, take steps to reduce the potential problem, but, in a location like mine, it's unlikely that one will ever 'eliminate it for evermore'.

A few years ago, I (by chance) stumbled across the rodent damage to a cable pictured below. I exposed cables in the immediate vicinity and found no other damage. Lifting all the floorboards 'for inspection of cables' in the very large house was essentially 'unthinkable' and a 're-wire' totally unthinkable. I therefore just replaced the one damaged cable, put the floorboards back and got on with my life.

As I said before, damage of the type illustrated below is (for obvious reasons) not detectable by any sort of electrical 'testing' (the insulation resistance of that cable was, as one would expect, fine) and, indeed would not result in any problems' unless it was 'disturbed'.

If the possibility of a recurrent rodent problem is largely 'unavoidable' (no matter how many 'measures' one deploys) then, unless one puts all electrical cables (and plastic water pipes :) ) inside steel conduit or suchlike, then there really is not much one can do other than 'live with it'.

Indeed, if one's house is currently rodent free, but with an ongoing risk, then one doesn't know whether the blighters will re-appear tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, or whenever - so if one wanted to be 'vigilant', I guess one would have to lift all the floorboards every week (or live without them and walk, carefully, on the joists :) )

1654983800694.png

Kind Regards, John

so if one wanted to be 'vigilant', I guess one would have to lift all the floorboards every week (or live without them and walk, carefully, on the joists :) )
or have system of WiFi connected mouse killers that would alert you when mice moved in the house . :mrgreen:

or have system of WiFi connected mouse killers that would alert you when mice moved in the house . :mrgreen:
Jest ye not ;)

In a couple of locations in my house where there are a large number of underfloor cables, I have PIR alarms. It took quite some time to find a PIR detector that would detect things as small as mice but (with the help of a neighbour's pet ones!) I eventually succeeded! The alarm is usually silent throughput the Spring/Summer months, but it seems that they sometimes 'come back in' when the weather gets cold!

I have to say that, over the years/decades, my experience has been that they are far more interested in nibbling telephone, 'signal' (e.g. alarm) and comms cables (maybe because of their small size, although possibly the material?) than T+E.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back