Towel rad valve help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly i am not / cannot alter the pipes under the floor and there will be a loo right next to the rad and it will be relatively out of sight and also not the first thing you see when you walk in the bathroom, so I am ok with any ugly issues.
I have to move the pipes as after tiling they are too close to the wall so need to dog leg but because the dog leg is not massive in order to accommodate the compression fittings I am also moving right but cannot go too far because of a door picture here
pipe 3.jpg

I am holding a mock up with bits i have this one for the left
pipe 6.jpg

the compression elbow will be this one sided one below below so only 1 nut on the valve side and as that is not a proper rad valve i am holding for my mock up it should all look smaller and neater
pipe 7.jpg

pipe 1.jpg

Its the right hand side that i have issues with here is my mock up of what i want to do
pipe 4.jpg

Here is what I want to avoid as its getting too close to the door
pipe 5.jpg

Every picture i see of angled valves shows the tails on the other side to what i need to do for the 1st option
Can i just swap over the tail end for the compression side so I can fit it like this
pipe 8.jpg

Attachments

• pipe 2.jpg
    pipe 2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 232
Sponsored Links
What about using a straight valve near the door and the angled one on the left side?
The problem is i still need to move the valve 20-25mm away from the wall- it is so much i.e not just 10mm tiles and some adhesive because before I tiled the wall was wonky and now behind the tiles on the door side is 15mm of adhesive to level straighten up the wall
If I was to use a straight one then I still have to add 2 elbows to dog leg out, whereas using an angled valve already gives me one of the elbows
Both pipes are too close for 2 reasons one is the tiles and the other was the design of the old towel rad that had the fins on the front so it could be mounted closer to the wall and still get your towels over it, the one nearest in the picture is now even closer because you can see how much the tiles have had to kick out to flatten up the wall
pipe 9.jpg

Last edited:
Okay. I am sure one of the experts on here will understand the issue more clearly and be able to better advise you.

Sponsored Links
I suppose my only question amoungst all that background info and pics is can I swap over the tail end for the pipe side on one valve end and use upside down like my last pic in my first post

EDIT
Just noticed the angled versions of the ones you posted say bi directional - does that then mean I can do what i need http://www.screwfix.com/p/verona-angled-radiator-valves-15mm-pair/37800

Last edited:
Bi directional just means they can be used on the flow or the return. If the two threads on the rad valves are the same dimensions and both have a taper you should be able to do as you want. I can't quite tell from the pictures.

Does the rad tail have an olive, either sliding or fixed? If so you can turn the valve around. I suspect not from the photos though.

Right so if there is a taper at both ends then i should just be able to swap over
I dont have the valves yet as this picture I took in the plumbers merchants when I was trying to work out what to do and is not what i need because the tail end has a bigger nut I think so i canot swap over
pipe-1-jpg.81803

But this one and the screwfix ones look like they are 15 mm both ends, the tail piece that I want to swap over i think is a standard 15mm tube beyond the thread so the body of the valve must have a taper and olive, i will have to go and look
pipe-8-jpg.81802

No theyre definitely not standard 15mm tails, the hole in the nut on the tail side is too big,

If you're not worried about chrome and white would be acceptable a couple of plumb center 250870's would do the trick (I'm kind of stuck with them because most of the house was done in them when I moved in).

Just had a gander on the plumbcenter website, 250928 would do it, not cheap though which is why I rarely shop at plumbcenter ;)

I dont mind those 250870 white cap ones although they are not that nice looking (says he who said it wont be seen !! ) the rad will be white

so i just need to have a good look at any I think to check the size if you say it makes no difference to the operation to swap over

That one in the merchants then has a big nut and a big thread but yet the tail thread is standard, big nut like my origionals in the picture.

Its just that looking at the screwfix picture the nut looks 15mm both ends

Last edited:
Now I see the screwfix ones have a pdf download that says its a 3/4 nut

These screw fix ones look what I need http://www.screwfix.com/p/chrome-angle-radiator-valve-15mm-pair/94103
ae235

The pdf shows two olives

Just read the reviews ands one in 2012 says this
" This is the part you want for dual fuel towel radiators. The fitting for the rad can go on either end of the valve so you can come out of the dual tee into what would normally be the bottom of the valve. The valve tap is then horizontal. The pipe goes down into the floor. A straight valve on the other side and you have a ladder towel rail with the taps both facing in for a tight solution.

Last edited:
So 1/2 inch bsp tail, and a 3/4 inch bsp nut, so not turn-around-able. That is, the old union type valve where you put the tail in usually with a large Allen key.

Bear in mind that the nominal thread sizes have only a loose relation with the actual thread diameters for historic reasons.

The 15mm tails have flats to wind them in with a spanner. So 1/2 inch bsp one end and 15mm compression the other. The vast majority of rads have 1/2 inch bsp tappings.

So 1/2 inch bsp tail, and a 3/4 inch bsp nut, so not turn-around-able. That is, the old union type valve where you put the tail in usually with a large Allen key.

Bear in mind that the nominal thread sizes have only a loose relation with the actual thread diameters for historic reasons.

The 15mm tails have flats to wind them in with a spanner. So 1/2 inch bsp one end and 15mm compression the other. The vast majority of rads have 1/2 inch bsp tappings.
I actually have a spare tail just as you describe with flats you can see it sitting on my mock up valve ( which is actually a washing machine valve I had laying around so I could mock somthing up) I pushed a spare wheel cap on the nut end

Ahh I hope that has not confused people thinking I was trying to use that, you can see the blue plastic turn behind
pipe-4-jpg.81806

Yup, can see what youre saying, just need to get a rad valve with two 15mm compression connections rather than a washing machine valve.

Or you can take the approach of the (probably mocked up) "Polish plumbers" vid on YouTube and use extra long non-central-heating-rated flexis for everything :p

Everyone has been a great help so far. Now I think i know what i need and that i can do it can anyone help as to where I can get these other than here http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/15mm-chrome-compression-elbow-p-772.html?search=elbow as I will have to pay as much post on them as they cost, I can not find them on the web other than the link, im hoping there is enough pipe end of these elbows to be able to cut it down a bit as one rad side will need to be longer than the other as one of the original pipes needs to dog leg further out than the other by swinging the elbow out more
pipe-7-jpg.81809

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back