Towel Radiator ...TRV?.. Or Not TRV?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, many thanks in advance for any kind words/ advice.
Im pretty much a noob on the radiator front, and have soo many questions - but here is a pretty lame first one to start me off..

Im aiming to install a Towel Radiator in the bathroom, and am wondering wether to plumb a Thermostatic Valve to it. We originally sized the radiator up with a view to fitting it with standard chrome valves (cheap & matching - unlike most TRVs)

.. but then i started having horrific flashing nightmares about skin burning off, as I blindedly scramble with soap filled eyes for a towel.

My main concern is safety, as I cant imagine how hot the majority of towel radiators get, and am worried about the real possibility of scorched fingers! call me safety conscious / a girl..

(How much hotter to the touch would a chrome towel radiator be in comparison to a standard room radiator?)

Pretty noobish question i know, but its something bugging me...

I dont know how many of you might recommend a TRV to be fitted, is it worth doing?

Many thanks again and keep up the good (DIY) work

Sponsored Links
The towel rad wont get any hotter than your other rads.

Fit the rad without the TRV it will be fine.

I must warn you that I'm no plumber but here's my 2 pence worth anyway!

I put a towel rail in my bathroom and did put a TRV on it. For about a year we had it set to full and it did get very hot. Then the other day my 6 year old boy lent up to get a towel and has burnt his chest. I'm pretty sure it will scar - it's a very nasty burn!

I would suggest that for the sake of 20quid then buy yourself a TRV. Ours is now set half way and its much safer. It still dries your towels but won't burn your hands!

Sponsored Links
Using a TRV the rad will still get very hot when the TRV valve opens.

The only way to keep the rad at a perminent safe temperature is to close down the lockshield valve to restrict flow.

I must warn you that I'm no plumber but here's my 2 pence worth anyway!

I put a towel rail in my bathroom and did put a TRV on it. For about a year we had it set to full and it did get very hot. Then the other day my 6 year old boy lent up to get a towel and has burnt his chest. I'm pretty sure it will scar - it's a very nasty burn!

I would suggest that for the sake of 20quid then buy yourself a TRV. Ours is now set half way and its much safer. It still dries your towels but won't burn your hands!

Then your heating may be to warm.

Sorry to hear of the little fella, hpoe he recovers well :cry:

;)

Thankyou all for your comments - Muchly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your kid Thornton - I think this is safe advice for all, so I will be erring on that side and will fit a TRV.. thankyou all again. :)

It is sad to tell you not to install a TVR Valve in your bathroom mate because they don’t work correctly, they break within a few months of installing them. How can anyone suggest a TVR can work in a bathroom, when you get a lot of damp in the air caused by the steam of hot water, or from a person having a shower, maybe be by just having a wash in the sink can cause any TVR not to work right and I think most plummers will agree never to install TVR’s in a bathroom. Stick with the lock shields and have your hot water opened on full (anti-clockwise), and maybe only a quarter of turn open on the other side (from being full closed clock wise), open just a touch and the radiator will still get hot, and if it is a case of any radiator in your home is gets way too hot, then turn your thermostat down which will be normally placed on the room wall where there is no TVR on the closest radiator to it. That’s in an ex council house anyway, us northers from South Yorkshire don’t have the money to live in beautiful detached houses further south as they cost double, maybe even treble of what mine is worth. Mind you I wouldn’t swap from living in Yorkshire for no amount of money Proud of my county, and will be of my country if we get what we voted for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back