Towel radiators - any good?

namsag said:
My ar#e looked liked it had ben sponsored by Adidas for a fortnight afterwards 3 stripes right across cheeks. OUCH. :oops:
Just noticed this admission. :)

I once burnt my ar*e in a suana, on an unguarded brazier casing - they put a wooden guard around it after that. I was too young and shy to kick up a fuss (e.g. compensation). Nowadays I'd be mooning to all and sundry until I received a lorryload of chocolate. Or summat.

Sponsored Links
So Softus are you post OP or pre OP . :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though do you not think that towel rads get a lot hotter than a normal rad and are liable to burn if brushed against

Sponsored Links
An interesting thermodynamic question namsag.

A towel warmer, or a rad, can't get hotter than the temperature of the water circulating through it, so the initial answer is that the temperature is the same as a rad.

In practise, they do seem to be incredibly and dangerously hot sometimes, but that could be simply because they're usually in a confined space near naked people, whereas rads generally aren't - it could just be perception.

Then again, rads are more efficient at giving off heat, which implies that their temperature would be lower, if they contained the same amount of water moving at the same flow rate.

So, I suppose the answer is yes - they're hotter. Unless anyone knows better...

What about this type? Should I stear clear of these? They don't look like they'd be much use but I really like the style of them :rolleyes:

Ladderradiator.jpg

Amanda, to address the style/heat compromise, could you build an ordinary radiator into your cabinetry? (To add additional heat, I mean). Jali - www.jali.co.uk/radiatorCover.asp - do covers and one with slots cut into the front looks as if it might fit into a bathroom.

Thanks for the suggestion and link Nick :)

As it's a bathroom I would like the option of heating towels in the colder months so a cover wouldn't be the best option for this.

Another idea. Have the towel radiator you like for looks and put in an underfloor heating mat as well to keep the place really warm. You're probably retiling the floor anyway? Best of both.

Wish I could afford underfloor heating Nick :rolleyes:

I'm actually just painting the floorboards (budget again :( )

Anybody know about the type of rads in the piccie above? I was thinking about bidding on a couple on ebay but the auction finished last night. Think he might relist them tho. If they are totaly useless then I won't.

Amanda, its quite easy to calulate how many British Thermal Units (btu)you need to heat a room adequately. All radiators and towel rails should give you their maximum btu output in the specification, on the packaging etc.
If you then multiply the width x length x height of your bathroom to find the cubic capacity, and multiply this sum by 3.5, this will give you the amount of btus you need to heat the room.
For rooms facing north Add 15%
For French windows Add 20%
For double glazing Deduct 10%
You can then compare this to the towel rail output. If your calculated figure (btu) comes out lower than the radiator output (btu), even better cos you'll be nice and warm :) . If your figure (btu) comes out higher than the radiator output, then your bathroom won't be warm enough. :cry:
An easier way, is to go to the something and Q website. Look under radiators and they have a btu calculator there where all you do is type in the numbers and the software will work out the results.
Simple really if you know how ;)
I only know how, cos we have just been thro this in our new bathroom. The old bathroom had one towel rail and always felt cold in the winter, but now we have added another towel rail and therefore upped the btus...also have just laid underfloor wiring, so should be really snug. I purchased the u/floor heating second hand (but unused) and cheap from Friday Ad, also sometimes available from ebay. So its worth looking around.
If not, you can get a small double radiator (bog standard white) quite cheap. If you have space, maybe fit one of these as well as the towel rail?
Anyway, hope that helps and good luck!

Wow thanks sierracsierra that's really useful to know. Do you measure your room in feet or metres? I'm a feet person myself ;)

Not to worry I just went on the you know what site and found the calculator

3528 BTU!!!! I'll give the one in the piccie a miss I think cos they are only 600 BTU.

Wickes it is then :rolleyes:

Oh good Amanda, I'm glad to be of help.
You should be nice and warm now.
If you or anyone else is interested, I may have underfloor heating, loose wire (Warmup DWS800) left over ...enough to do a room 4.5 to 5.9 sq metres. It will include wire, sensor, xstat and primer
(no tape as I've used it all, but I phoned T...ps Tiles and they told me you can use any kind of coated woven tape.)
I will sell at £70 plus P & P (it normally retails at over £200 for this kit)
Sue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back