Towel rail hammering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, I have a strange issue with - I think my towel rail.

2 years ago I had a new towel rail fitted, and it is located close to the boiler. A few months later I started getting a weird knocking noise just as the boiler switches itself off each time, and a plumber suggested it was something like a "loose jumper" or something of that nature. He sorted it, but a year later it started hammering again as the boiler switches off. I tried turning that towel rail off at its built-in thermostat and the hammering stopped, so I'm certain it's the towel rail. What would cause that and is it easy to fix? I wondered if I can just turn the flow in up a bit to get it warm, but maybe by not having it fully open the pressure won't be as high and the knocking won't happen. Has anyone got any experience of this kind of fault?
Thank you, Steven

Sponsored Links
That can sometimes be down a directional valve. I.E. the Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) will only work properly with the flow running one way. Check the side of the valve and it may have an arrow on it.

myson-trv-body.jpg
Directional
bi-directional-honeywell-trv.jpg
Bi-directional

Thanks for the idea. I can't seem to see any arrows showing me direction. I am attaching images of the towel rail fitting. Does that show anything? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 147
unfortunately you managed to confuse things by mentioning the built in thermostat. Your towel radiator doesn't have a built in thermostat (TRV), they are 2 manual valves. Your plumber was probably correct and it's down to the manual valves you are using having loose jumpers.

Maybe change to higher quality valves.

Sponsored Links
Ahhh I see. I think I confused myself Rob, as I did ask him to fit a thermostat after the initial installation but held off until I needed other work doing, and it was never done. Loose jumpers on the manual valves makes sense. I turned them down to half way so the rail still heats up, but it seems to have stopped making the noise now so maybe the reduced pressure is helping eliminate the problem. If it returns I'll get the valves replaced. Thank you so much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back