Towel Rail Installation Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On Thursday I ordered a number of items from different companies for installing a dual fuel towel rail as part of my bathroom refurbishment project and I'm very impressed that they have now all been delivered and appear to be of excellent quality.

Before I go ahead and do the first fix, I was hoping I could get some feedback based on your combined years of experience as this is my first time doing this.

I believe what I'm planning to do is correct but I'm open to suggestions. First a couple of photos, to set the scene.

Here's the radiator, with valves and 600W element temporarily screwed in.

And a close up of the angled corner valves, which allow the thermostat to fit through them without requiring a separate T piece (a great idea and very neat):

My plan was to fit the towel rail with the supply and return pipes on the right (as shown above), which feels a little unusual, but as you can see from the following photos, is more easily done as I want to feed the pipes up the stud wall and there is a joist on the left, which would make this more difficult.

The orientation of the valves is a no-brainer, but I can position the element through either valve. In the photo I've chosen the side of the TRV, which will be on the LEFT when the radiator is position on the wall and the lockshield will be on the right. I'm now thinking the element should be position through the lockshield valve on the right as that way the cable run will be neater. I will be installing an outlet plate to the right of the radiator. I don't believe it matters whether the element is installed on the supply or return side. Are there any advantages to one or the other?

I was planning to connect the supply pipe upto the TRV valve, but based on the position of the pipes this may be difficult to do:

(I've drawn lines on the wall where the pipes will be fed up behind the wall).

Due to the bends in the pipes, it would be easier to tee off the supply and feed to the right hand valve on the radiator (which has the lockshield connected to it) and for the return pipe to be connected to the left hand TRV valve. This avoids the return having to be bent under the supply, although I guess I could T off the return pipe where it bends upwards and then run it to the right hand lockshield valve. According to the fitting instructions, "The TRV can be installed on either the flow or return pipework. However, to avoid noise it is recommended that the TRV is fitted on the flow.". I don't believe the orientation of the TRV matters, at least there's no mention of this in the instructions.

Why does fitting a TRV on the return valve cause knocking? Should I stick to my original plan and connect the supply to the TRV side?

I would really appreciate any thoughts and advice on fitting the element and connecting up the pipes.

Sponsored Links
The element can go on either side. More important, however, is to check the installation instructions for the towel rail. They may well specify which side should be flow and which should be return in order to achieve correct operation

Thanks for the feedback. I have checked the installation instructions but it makes no reference to how the supply and return pipes should be connected. I may email the supplier just to be sure.
The rail is designed to be dual fuel and to be able to be fitted either way around.

Sponsored Links
Looking back at the photo that shows my original plan to install the element through the TRV valve, in terms of the efficient heating of the water within the towel rail, I was thinking this would be best as I would use the TRV to close that valve therefore completely isolating the water in the supply pipe from the water in the towel rail. The lockshield valve requires a spanner to close, so wouldn't be as easy.

I had assumed that with a closed TRV and the element turned on, there's less chance of the element heating up the water in the supply pipes because the closed TRV valve has cut off this water from the water in the towel rail. On the other hand, if the heating element is installed through the lockshield valve and this valve is left open to allow expansion, when the TRV valve is closed and the heating element is turned on there is more chance the heat generated by the element will radiate through the water and dissipate in the return pipe? So, in this case, the element is heating water within the towel rail, but also the water within the return pipes from the lockshield valve.

I suspect this is simply physics and it may make negligible difference to how efficiently the element heats up the rail, but that was my thought process!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back