Towel rail timer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a 600w electric towel rail put in the shower room.
It will be the only heat in there, so in addition to a ceiling switch, I'd like to have a timer.
But there's no room for a cupboard in which to site a timer.

Is there any timer that could be hung on the wall without boxing it in?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
I like this one, very simple and intuitive.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOE30.html
I'm involved with a sort of village hall, and it means the users can have hot water for the duration of their event, and it will turn off automatically. The organiser or keyholder can turn it on at arrival, or beforehand. Thanks to the thermostat, it stops using electricity anyway, once the cylinder is full.

I got one at home, for when the solar panels are running or my boiler breaks down

Edit
sorry I misunderstood

You meant a timeswitch that will turn on the heat, say, every morning at 7am?

I use an old central heating timer for a towelrail only (rated at 3A) but most timeswitches are 16A contacts. You will need a fused one, or an FCU as well. Immersion timers are usually unfused. Some have rotating dials, and the motor/gears make a soft but irritating noise. For cheapness, there are lots of E7 timers (used) on ebay.

You can use electrical accessories (except plugs and sockets) in a bathroom as long as they are outside the zones (not close to a fixed bath or shower) and not liable to have water dripped, splashed or sprayed on them. Or you can put the timer outside the door.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thankyou.

So I don't need to put it in a cupboard, that helps.

The seven day timer looks ideal.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFST77.html

Things have changed a bit since I last bought a new timer in, errm, 1982. And I didn't know one could buy them with a fuse. That saves another bit of gubbins.
Jolly good.

I was imagining something mechanical that goes whirr and click. In fact, I know I've got one somewhere that has to be wound up with a key, if I could just find it. I have a storage unit full of stuff that would come in useful, I can easily put my hands on it when I don't want it, but when I do......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back