Towel rail valves installed wrong way around ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiators not heating up, not even slight warmth. The bleed valve is on the same side as the TRV so is this wrong ?

The lockshield side is hot but the TRV side is cold

Sponsored Links
When you turn the central heating system on, which pipe gets hot first?

This is the pipe that should have the TRV fitted (flow), the lockshield should go on the other side (return).

As a temp measure, if the valves have been fitted incorrectly, open the TRV to full so at least it wont shut straight away.

Although, the rad should at least get hot for a while?

Have you got any isolating valves further down the pipework?

When you turn the central heating system on, which pipe gets hot first?

This is the pipe that should have the TRV fitted (flow), the lockshield should go on the other side (return).

As a temp measure, if the valves have been fitted incorrectly, open the TRV to full so at least it wont shut straight away.

Although, the rad should at least get hot for a while?

Have you got any isolating valves further down the pipework?

The pipe with the lockshield gets got first. I must have muddled up the pipes. There's no heat getting to it whatsoever. Maybe I should leave it on for an hour? I've tested for 15-20mins and no heat at all.

There's no isolating valves on the system (I fitted the pipes). My plumber fitted a drain down valve at the lowest point of the system, but I'm trying to avoid calling him out for this + I've boxed in and decorated where it is.

The towel radiator is the highest radiator in the system. There are 3 other radiators on the same floor and 3 on the floor below.

The boiler is a worcester 30si pressurized to approx 1.5bar (I know how to do this).

What are my options ?

Well, if the pipework to the rad is getting hot, you at least know that the rad has a hot feed from the boiler. If the rad is not getting hot at all, you need to open the lockshield valve (silly but it's worth a check).

Try that and let us know.

Open the TRV to full as well, otherwise you won't have any return flowing.

You will eventually need to swap the valves round though.

Sponsored Links
How can I swap the valves around without draining the whole system?

I want to avoid this as my plumber added inhibitor and I've covered the drain valve with boxing in as mentioned previously. Any further options ?

Someone might be along in a minute to offer some advice on this for you.

What system do you have?
Boiler make and model?

If it's a combi sealed system, I personally would get some more inhibitor and drain the system. swap the valves, fill'er up and repressurise.

It's a Worcester 30si that supplies hot water and the central heating. It works on it's own doing the lot (not sure whether that means sealed or unsealed). It's installed on the floor below.

Currently the pressures at 1 bar

I know how to pressurise the system but I don't know how to reduce the pressure or whether that's even possible. Cheers

Thats a compact combi boiler. Sealed system.

I think it can be done but I can't remeber the specifics and I am not goint to guess, so let's wait for someone in the know :)

Ok thanks. I've located the manual online and can see where my plumber's fitted the copper run to outside from the pressure relief valve on the boiler. Looks as though it can be turned with a screwdriver but I'll sit on this for the time being and check back in a few hours. Cheers

There's no isolating valves on the system (I fitted the pipes). My plumber fitted a drain down valve at the lowest point of the system, but I'm trying to avoid calling him out for this +I've boxed in and decorated where it is.

Some customers have the maddest ideas!

All current TRVs are bidirectional ! re you sure lockshield is open?

Tony

There's no isolating valves on the system (I fitted the pipes). My plumber fitted a drain down valve at the lowest point of the system, but I'm trying to avoid calling him out for this +I've boxed in and decorated where it is.

Some customers have the maddest ideas!

All current TRVs are bidirectional ! re you sure lockshield is open?

Tony

I can re-open them both again to check. Are you saying it should work perfectly well either way around ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back