Towel Rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a towel rail in my downstairs bathroom as part of the central heating system: everything fine, no problems.

I have a much smaller one to go in the upstairs loo. As the room is small and not used very often I have installed electric power to it - I didn't think it was worth plumbing it into the central heating.

I would like to know what water to put in it - do I have to do anything to it first (like boil it) or does it have to be purified or does it have to be anything special?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It has to be special, non-thermally expanding type if you want your rad to be the same shape hot as it was cold :mad:

Leaving an air gap in the rad may be suggested, but unless you can guarantee no-one will bleed it out when hot you may end up with a flatter rad :cry:

It gets worse, imagine what will happen WHEN (not if) the thermostat on the electric heater fails :idea: Water boils, pressure rises, :eek: rad splits, water flashes-off to steam, expanding to about 22000 times its original volume

KaBOOOM

Hope this helps!!

I though it was only 1600 times, so not to worry ;)

In other words you'd better connect it to your ch!

you might get away with filling it with oil + small air gap.

bleeding is unlikely to present a problem- no air will come out unless you let something else in at the same time.

Sponsored Links
meldrew's_mate said:
It has to be special, non-thermally expanding type if you want your rad to be the same shape hot as it was cold :mad:

Leaving an air gap in the rad may be suggested, but unless you can guarantee no-one will bleed it out when hot you may end up with a flatter rad :cry:

It gets worse, imagine what will happen WHEN (not if) the thermostat on the electric heater fails :idea: Water boils, pressure rises, :eek: rad splits, water flashes-off to steam, expanding to about 22000 times its original volume

KaBOOOM

Hope this helps!!
:LOL: :LOL: How about leaving the air bleed screw out completely, and filling with antifreeze (anti corrosion) solution :idea: :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back