Tower Shower just won't stop leaking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a tower shower unit a while back - it was fitted as part of a house refurb but the place is unoccupied so the shower has never been used after the inital test on first fitting. I've now discovered the unit is leaking and after a lot of checking and re-checking of connections, I've found it's coming from the brass body of the mixer section.

Somehow water is leaking past the end of the cartridge, dripping out and then down the inside of the shower. I've taken the cartridge out (one of those generic plastic blue ones) and the washer is on there, but I've noticed the cartridge has four holes in it. The shower has three modes of hand held shower head, body jets and main overhead shower so I'd assumed three holes would be needed? (or is `off` the fourth mode?)

Also looking inside the chamber where the cartridge sits, the brass body has three circular holes in it for the water to enter, but the bottom hole is a crudely punched semi circle and this leads into the main square inlet at the base where water rises in the chamber. Is that right or is there something wrong with the brass body?

All assistance you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The retailer has politely told me to sling my hook as apparently it only came with a 12 month warranty (it's coming up to almost two years due to the time to renovate the place)

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay in replying to this - thought I'd give an update as a bit of closure in case anyone ends up in the same situation.

Try as I might the leak wouldn't stop - it seemed to work its way out of unit in different ways no matter what I replaced, and so the more I became convinced that something was physically wrong with those holes at the back of the brass body. After a lot of back and forth with the retailer they eventually caved in after speaking to their supplier and agreed to replace that part.

New one turned up this week and there's two major differences - the cartridge is a different colour (which I gather makes a difference in terms of fitting and seal) and the holes at the back of the brass body are complete. Have replaced it and now waiting to see if everything is okay (but first impressions are promising).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back