Towing on UK roads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a picture of a friends caravan set up in Canada.
My question is "Would this be allowed on UK Roads". The set up is 70ft from Front Bumper to rear of the boat.
Internet searches come up with confusing results.

Attachments

• Canadian Full Rig.jpg
    Canadian Full Rig.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I've seen large caravans being towed by a saloon car and the caravan was towing a small/medium sized car. Both tow bars were of the fixed metal type though I have also seen one where the towed car had it's front wheels in a cradle attached to the rear of the caravan.

Yeah, it is all about definitions and the law is notorious for interpreting definition for the sake of winning cases and making oodles of cash. That is how the law seems to be setup, make it confusing so the barristers can make loads of cash arguing about what the loose definitions mean.
70 ft trailer like that of of my friend in Canada would seem unreasonable to me on UK roads. I am no nearer to knowing if it would be legal though.

Hey Tigercubrider,
Scrolled down to No 7 of your link, and it rather confirms my earlier reply posting.
I have no idea what that sentence means.
It is very poor English and as such leaving the barristers to make even more cash interpreting it and twisting.

Presuming that is someting like a F250 Super Duty it can handle trailers on its tow hook up to 21,000 pounds, and 5th-wheel trailers (as in the photo where there is a 5th wheel like on a lorry in the trailerbed) up to 27,500 pounds.
That's 12tonnes! of towing capacity.
So I guess it is not overwight in regards to its towing capacity, but no idea regarding UK rules. (And it would never fit down my local roads anyway).
SFK

Last edited:
Hi SFK,
It is legal Canada as the friend of mine tow this lot on most weekends. Still no idea if it would be legal in the UK!!!!!

Hysteresis,
Sorry that is what I menat to say. Legal in a lot of USA where I have seen it in use many times. Just dont know if you are allowed to tow 12tonnes in Uk, or use a 5th wheel in UK or (as per the queston) two trailers in UK.
SFK

If you could do the research into the weights of the vehicles involved then I can give you a definitive answer on whether it would be allowed in the UK & on what licence, but generally that setup would only be allowed if operated by a genuine & bona fide member of the 'showmans guild' brigade.

As I have never seen in the UK an articulated lorry pulling another trailer (Aussie road train) , can we assume it is not allowed? Otherwise they would.

Can't see how any saloon car would be plated to tow that combined Gross Train Weight, I bet they were well over the towing limit of the car.

The car on the end would be classed as unbraked so would have to be 750kg or less to start with disregarding caravan.

Our car is 2100 ton braked tow capacity OR 750kg unbraked iirc.

I've seen large caravans being towed by a saloon car and the caravan was towing a small/medium sized car. Both tow bars were of the fixed metal type though I have also seen one where the towed car had it's front wheels in a cradle attached to the rear of the caravan.

leave the caravan trailer at home and you still can’t run the truck and boat on a standard driving licence in the UK. Truck 3,400kg boat 1300kg outboard 300kg = 850kg over without the trailer for the boat.

Can't see how any saloon car would be plated to tow that combined Gross Train Weight, I bet they were well over the towing limit of the car.

The car on the end would be classed as unbraked so would have to be 750kg or less to start with disregarding caravan.

Our car is 2100 ton braked tow capacity OR 750kg unbraked iirc.

The car with it's wheels in the cradle was a little Fiat(?) 500 05 5()(). Can't remember what the other one on the solid tow was. As for weights, I honestly haven't a clue as I have only towed my daughters fiesta a few years ago or my little two wheel trailer to the local tip.

Sponsored Links
Back