Toyota Avensis Engine managment light stays on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
On my way home from work I noticed that the Engine management light stays on. I know that this is a bad light to come on, so I'm hoping that I can pick up a few pointers on what to check for. There are no other warning lights. I believe that I need a Computer diagnostic tool to be sure of a correct diagnosis, but I am hoping someone will tell me the most likely cause or what checks to make, before booking into a Garage!
P.S.
I have tried doing a search on this Forum, without any success.

Best regards.

Bing.

Sponsored Links
You need to get it plugged in and the fault codes read, otherwise it could be one of 10,000s of things!!
Depending on age and fuel type, your back street garage may have a code reader.

Sorry for the delay getting back.
Thanks for the replies guys. I do understand that there is a multitude of possible faults but I was hoping to try & eliminate some of the more basic ones. Any how I have been scratching around on the net & have come a cross a few threads where the Lambda Sensor detecting the Oxygen levels needed to be changed. This doesn't look to difficult a job to do & relatively cheap.
I forgot to mention in my original post that the warning lamp is Amber & not Red. Am I right in assuming that it is not a really serious fault when in this colour? The Car is virtually ready for the knackers yard & if its not going to let me down in this status any time soon, I'm not to fussed to just run it. I just don't want it packing up on the motorway.
Your thoughts please!

Bing.

Sponsored Links
Purely a guess here, but if the cars performance is unaffected then there is a good chance that it is a lambda sensor / exhaust catalyst issue.
At this stage, don't replace anything just for the hell of it - the lamp may go out on its own accord after a run.
I've had this syndrome on quite a few vehicles - notably French for some reason......particularly when aftermarket sensors or catalytic converters have been used.
John :)

This doesn't look to difficult a job to do & relatively cheap.
Bing.
But expensive if that is not problem!

Modern cars have inbuilt diagnostics, why are people so reluctant to use them?

Burnerman.
At this stage, don't replace anything just for the hell of it - the lamp may go out on its own accord after a run.
I like this plan because it fits well with my budget!

Alane.
I don't think people are reluctant to use on board diagnostics. They just don't know how to access the information. Hardware / software requirements are expensive.

Thank you all for your input.

Best regards.

Bing.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/t...anagment-light-stays-on.422944/#ixzz3NzLfhIvp

The engine management lamp looks at the fuelling, ignition and emissions aspect of the engine in question.
If a coil pack or spark plug fails, there is a misfire, lamp on.
If a fuel injector fails, the same applies. Both of these problems interfere with the emissions of the vehicle - again, lamp on. Misfires are easily detectable by the naked ear - the cure less so.
For sure, a fault code will be stored in the cars computer. Admittedly, many of these are generic but they will point the mechanic in the right direction.
It's also possible to clear the fault code straight away, and the lamp will go out. Of course if the same symptoms are present, it will be straight back on again.
This will need sorting before the MOT test.
John :)

Thanks for that insight into how the system functions John, appreciated.
The vehicle is actually running sweet, no misfires to my knowledge. No over heating & good fuel consumption, needs a drop of oil every few weeks. However, it is 12 year old with damaged Panels all round & no Gas in the Hatch Dampers, so it is getting towards replacement time. I generally run my Cars into the ground & then scrap. The MOT isn't due until July, so if it will limp along until then, happy days. I was just hoping it might be a cheap fix that I could do myself!
I will carry on running it until it blows up!!!
Thanks to every one who has tried to help me, really appreciated!

Bing.

This may be of some help. I had to have the Mass Air Flow Sensor replaced, costing around £200 each time, in 2007 and 2010, on my 1999 Toyota yaris. Each time the amber engine management light had come on (it is only ever amber, I think). A week ago it came on again and this time I decided to investigate myself. I searched the net and found that it is fairly common to at least try cleaning this device and if that fails, to replace it yourself at a cost or £27. I ordered a can of cleaner but before it turned up, the light went off! I'm still planning to clean the sensor - easily done.

Of course your problem and mine may not be the Mass Air Sensor but I feel it's worth spending £10, the cost of the cleaner spray, before taking it to the garage.

Have a look on ebay for an orange in colour U480 diagnostic tool, very cheap but ive got one and its worked on a lot of cars.

Sponsored Links
Back