Toyota Avensis - Front subframe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

i recently bought an avensis and found the front subframe is not aligned correctly, this was found when i getting the wheel alignment carried out.

Going to get a quote from a garage to find out how much this costs to get sorted. Anybody got any ideas on this would cost on average. I always feel like i'm getting conned at nearly every car garage i've been to.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the car is driving ok and the guys got your wheel alignment sorted just leave it.

It probably was the result of an accident, was it?

i really dont know if was a result of an accident, i bought it thinking it just feels like the wheel alignment is off.
Really would like to get it fixed as i find i'm turning the steering too much to the left and it feels very 'unnatural'.

I have sourced the part, just need to try get an estimate on how much the work would cost, then will order the subframe.

Just wondering if this is an MOT failure?

The first thing I'd do is go to another place for a second opinion.

Sponsored Links
yep will do that. The chap at the garage did show me the spacing between the back of my two front tyres and the arch.
On one side two fingers could fit the gap between trye and arch, and on the other nearly four.

But your right will get a second opinion.

It sounds like the car is a victim of crash damage.....on some vehicles the subframe needs to be realigned after a clutch change (Mondeo) but I've never seen one out so far as that.
Any sign of creased metal on the existing subframe?
John :)

the chap at the garage didnt mention any creased metal, just said that the front subframe was not straight and the car has possibly hit a curb very hard.

Is it a big job getting the subframe sorted out or replaced?

What are my rights in returning the car, as i'm sure the dealer will just say i've hit the car and it was fine when sold?

It takes a fair old bump to bend something like that and if it is damaged, I'd expect to see other signs of damage on the car. What year is your Avensis? If it's an old one it might not be worth the bother. I'd definately get a second opinion before doing anything.

I thought modern cars didn't have a 'subframe', but were of a monococque design?

So the problem is a bent steering arm, or part of the suspension that is broken, especially, as suggested, that the fault was caused by a kerb collision?

That isn't going to affect the chassis overall, as you don't have a subframe. So you say you have a price for this 'subframe', that isn't on your vehicle?

Mini = subframe, Landrover = subframe, Avensis, no subframe.

Most modern vehicles use subframes, which bear the weight of the engine / transmission and some suspension components. The subframe is then bolted onto the monocoque bodyshell to give tremendous strength and rigidity. The Avensis uses such a method.

the avensis is on an 02 plate, so it is old. Would this issue cause an MOT failure? which means i've basically lost all my money by the beginning of next year :(

Big job fixing the fault? there seem to be a lot of subframes outhere on the second hand market.

I think you'll need to pop along to a car body repairer really - they'll put it up on a ramp and do a close inspection.
If necessary they can check the car for alignment to see where the damage is and advise on any repair.
At least you'll then know where you stand, and then its decision time....any investigation won't be cheap though so get a quote first.
I don't suppose there's any chance of you taking the car back to the seller?

well i bought the car from a used car sales place. But i think we can guess where this is going, i'll raise the issue, and the sales guy will simply say that i caused the damaged as i've had the car for 2 weeks.

What are my consumer right in this type of situation?

hmmm, the receipt says, 3 month gearbox and engine warranty only?

not looking good, will contact them and see how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Back