Toyota dash lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.need help please. My toyota corolla dash lights go off when I switch on my head lights on.strange.
Tried adjusting dimmer switch makes no difference.

Sponsored Links
The early Corolla was notorious for column switch failure due to corrosion on the switch contacts, but often other lamps failed too.
How old is yours?
John :)

The early Corolla was notorious for column switch failure due to corrosion on the switch contacts, but often other lamps failed too.
How old is yours?
2004 hatchback 1.4 petrol.
I have just now tried dimmer switch again.when headlights are on and try to up the dimmer switch then some whining noise is coming from inside the switch panel. Can't tell whether it's behind switch or where fuse box is.

Sponsored Links
Where is fuse for dash lights .in engine compartment or underneath the driver side.will it be marked.some people are suggesting either fuse or relay.

Does the dimmer switch have numbers marked on it? I thought they were just marked off/on above the rheostat thumb wheel?

Does the dimmer switch have numbers marked on it? I thought they were just marked off/on above the rheostat thumb wheel?
Yes it has 0 to 5 numbers on a thumb wheel wright side of steering wheel. When lights are off I can adjust brightness with this thumb wheel.only problem is when I switch the lights on then dash lights go off.

I still reckon it's the column switch at fault but it's only a guess I'm afraid - have a look on youtube as there may be a video of dismantling the switch?
Not such a bad job once the steering column shrouds are removed.

Just by way of conversation, a friend of ours has owned her brand new Toyoto Aygo for a whole four (4) weeks & the heater matrix has failed.
Good job it's warranty work ... dash out job ?

Just by way of conversation, a friend of ours has owned her brand new Toyoto Aygo for a whole four (4) weeks & the heater matrix has failed.
Good job it's warranty work ... dash out job ?
A lot of people suggesting instrument panel fuse so going to replace this fuse first.hope it cures the problem.

If it uses canbus/ a light switch module, it would be worth swapping that module for another from a scrap car if you can get one. It might be coded to the car, so just try it briefly, before getting the replacement coded to the car, or the car may begin creating.

Sponsored Links
Back