Toyota Supra MK3 cam cover gasket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a mate put a new cam cover gasket on my Supra a few weeks ago, there is still a small leak at the front on the inside, so going down into the spark plug area. Question is, can I smear some gasket sealant along the side where the gasket and cam cover hold together where I think the oil is entering or do I have to take the CC off again which I don't really want to do right now.
any advice thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its not really a good move to smear sealant on the outside Im afraid......theres a very poor chance it will stop the leak.
Time to remove the cam cover again, make sure the mating faces are perfectly clean.....add sealant and tighten down starting from the middle and work outwards.
John :)

I brought some Granville clear gasket sealant but unsure, is there a better one or is this ok?
Also do I put the sealant on both sides of gasket including the side that fits into the channels of can cover? Thanks

Sponsored Links
That will be the clear silicone stuff, I guess?
It will be fine for the job, use it sparingly as you dont want any excess dropping inside.
For best results apply to both alloy faces first, add the gasket and tighten down from the centre outwards.
Make sure there are no traces of old gasket anywhere, remove any traces of oil.

I'd use Three Bond, tube below costs around £12 (used to be nigh on £50 a tube!).

Best sealant you can buy imho, I use it on all out engine rebuilds. Suzuki specify it for crank cases etc (days work if you had to do the job twice due to leaks)..

Worth the money as a tube will las ages.

20140514_213356.jpg
20140514_213409.jpg

Never heard of that one, I guess its silicone based? I use the Wurth equivalent, especially on tin sumps where no gasket is specified.
For other stuff I have faith in Blue Hylomar.
A long way from the ubiquitous Hermetite red or green!

It's a mechanics dream John, never had any problems when using it and very easy to apply.

It is a variant of RTV silicone I believe but doesn't smell like "normal" silicone.

It's what they use in the factory when building the engines.

Well worth buying a tube to try!.

Sponsored Links
Back