Track lighting & wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I'm considering all options on lighting an odd shaped room with a slanted roof; one option is to run some track lighting along a wooden beam.

Personally I'd only ever use LED or low-wattage GU10 bulbs in them so there wouldn't be the risk of overheating the beam (I think, anyway!). Plus for energy saving.

But say we sell the house, and the next owners fit a conventional halogen bulb... Would there be a fire risk? :eek:

Track I am looking at is:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70083718

Have only found one picture online of it installed:
http://www.sarahhatter.com/photos/uncategorized/radium.jpg

Advice much appreciated!

Catherine

Sponsored Links
A most sensible solution! :D

Which bring me now to ask, what max wattage would be considered low enough to be safe, say 10 cm from a wooden beam?

And at the risk of sounding completely incompetent, where is a good place to start looking?

Many thanks again

Cat

any BS approved or equivalent euro safety tested fitting should be fine. be aware that the halogen lights get very hot, in fact the gu10 bulbs have ceramic holders.
If in doubt find and look at a shop display and ask if you can read fitting instructions.

Sponsored Links
Not being official but regs 482-02-13
Except as Otherwise recommended by the manufacturer,spotlights and projectors shall be installed at following minimum distances from combustible materials:
1) rated up to 100w -0.5m
2)over 100-300w -0.8m
3)rated 300-500w -1m

So what I'm saying is unless the manufacturers guidelines state otherwise no, have you thought of solid track and adding lights instead of flexible solutions that appear unsuitable

the first fitting the OP mentioned was a 12 volt fitting. ;) Dont think you'll get low energy CFL GU10s for that.

So is a better option then to fit a track (not cable) along the beam – and in 240V (not 12V):
http://www.thelightingcentre.com/ItmDtls.asp?ItmCd=25896

If I understand correctly I can use 240V LED GU10 bulbs in this.

And if subsequent house owners replace them with 50W halogen it won't burn the house down?

The distances listed previously seem to be between the spotlight and the illuminated object. My question pertains more to the distance between the spotlight and where it's fastened to - I've just never seen lamps like this attached to a wooden beam and am wondering if this is due to fire safety.

Just in case anyone is concerned about my welfare, I won't be installing these myself! I'm the wifey choosing the lights, and wanting to learn a little about these things :)

led would be a low heat solution, the track would be a good idea.

Tracking will keep bulb and holder away from wood (heat)
:D
So as long as you mount so the bulb can't touch anything, you should be good

Why not just look for a
F-mark.jpg
marked fitting :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back