Track Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone recommennd or point me in the right directing for a track lighting system.

In my new kitchen, I have a vaulted ceiling (peak at 14 feet) and an island with a Velux window above. So lighting isn't going to be straight forward. So I have been thinking of a suspected track system.

I need to light the floor around the island and the island itself and was thinking of a rectangle track - 3m long and maybe 1.5m wide. And another 3m track running up the centre (75cm from the sides) - basically a flat figure of 8 rectangle.

Ideally I would want spot type lamps on the perimeter and maybe spot or pendents hung over the island on the centre track.

It all needs to be hung on cables from the sloping ceiling - preferably one near each corner - but if more are needed, then I guess that is whet I need,

Any thoughts on brands or products?

Sponsored Links
If you are considering tension wire system such as

0x2.jpg

or similar then be sure to get the correct transformer(s) to supply the track.

If you use any type of "electronic transformer" ( which is a Switch Mode Power Supply ) then ensure it does not allow any radio frequency energy to reach the tension wires as these will act as an aerial and broadcast Radio Frequency Interference ( RFI ) to the surrounding area. The RFI measured at the output of the SMPS could be low enough to be compliant but the tension wire "aerial" could then amplify the effect of that compliant RFI to create a much larger Effective Radiated Power ( ERP )

An inductive ( magnetic ) transformer should be used with tension wire systems as an inductive transformer does not produce any RFI.

A tension wire system supplied by an SMPS was affecting marine radio communications over two miles from the building. The original transformers had been replaced with SMPS units.

If you are considering tension wire system such as

View attachment 154200

or similar then be sure to get the correct transformer(s) to supply the track.

If you use any type of "electronic transformer" ( which is a Switch Mode Power Supply ) then ensure it does not allow any radio frequency energy to reach the tension wires as these will act as an aerial and broadcast Radio Frequency Interference ( RFI ) to the surrounding area. The RFI measured at the output of the SMPS could be low enough to be compliant but the tension wire "aerial" could then amplify the effect of that compliant RFI to create a much larger Effective Radiated Power ( ERP )

An inductive ( magnetic ) transformer should be used with tension wire systems as an inductive transformer does not produce any RFI.

A tension wire system supplied by an SMPS was affecting marine radio communications over two miles from the building. The original transformers had been replaced with SMPS units.

Thanks for this.

I had looked at this type of system, but because of our ceiling slopes, we can get it to work.

What I am looking for is a rigid track system where I can suspend the track from varying length cables (say at the corners) from the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
If you have kitchen wall cabinets, consider led strip lighting, above and below.

Dont know about track lighting, the usual type need fixing to a ceiling to make them rigid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back