replacing track light with individual pendants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i presently have a 3-lamp track light attached to the ceiling in the eves of my loft bedroom... i would like to replace this with three individual pendants spaced a little further apart.

the cable supplying power to the track light has one single dedicated light switch (ie. not controlled by any other switch in the room), so i guess the main power goes to the switch and then to the light.

so i presume there is nothing wrong with me connecting the three new pendants in a chain.... would this be in series or parallel (excuse my stupidity, but this is my first port of call... need to do more research before picking up a screwdriver!) and what sort of grade cable should i use to link between the individual pendants?

thanks

Sponsored Links
nothing wrong with replacing the current fitting with replacemnt fittings

cable size would be best to match up with the current cable installed (i.e may be on a 1.0 / 1.5mm twin and earth)

the light fittings should be fitted in series (switch -> 1 -> 2 -> 3)

why you changing the fitting any ways?

so i guess the main power goes to the switch and then to the light

Not necessarily so. There are several ways of wiring light fittings.

Have a look inside the switch and tell us what is connected where...

Sponsored Links
so i guess the main power goes to the switch and then to the light

Not necessarily so. There are several ways of wiring light fittings.

Have a look inside the switch and tell us what is connected where...
And look at the diagrams of lighting circuits in the Wiki so that you understand how the different systems work....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back