Track saw - worthy investment?

i dont have clamps never needed them light pressure on the track with your other hand
remember to cut a random bit off board with you first pass on each edge as it cuts the rubber first pass
i store the joiner in the track off the second track but tighten all 4 screws as i only tightened on and lost 2

remove the 6-12mm from the end off all rubbers otherwise when you stand the tracks on there ends they start to peel back and get filled with crud

Sponsored Links
FFX are listing them:
http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/... 240v Circular Plunge saw in Systainer T-Loc
I think I'm going to get the dewalt one off them tho

Hi,

I'm looking at getting the Festool TS55R with 1.4m guide rail and quick release clamps.

I was interested to see someone mentioning FFX.co.uk. I’ve had a good hunt around and they do seem to be considerably cheaper than the rest.

It has left me a little concerned as on other forums people have said Festool prices are normally the same everywhere with very little discounting done. I was just wondering if these guys are reliable and if I'm getting the latest incarnation of the saw/accessories etc.

Thanks in advance.

dont forget the track on top :D
very reliable company when i have used the [3 or 4times]

dont forget the track on top :D
very reliable company when i have used the [3 or 4times]

Thanks for the quick answer, are you snowed in?

Forgive my ignorance, "Track on top"?

I want to get the full works am I missing something?:

Festool TS55REBQ-Plus TS55R 240v Circular / Plunge saw in Systainer T-Loc (x1 at £295)
Festool FS-HZ 160 Steel Lever clamp for guide rail (x2 at £32 each)

Festool FS1400/2 1.4m 1400mm Guide rail for TS55R (x1 at £50)

I'm about to embark on a a marathon session cutting sheet materials into wall panels. My joiner friend sadly died recently and I'm going to complete his MDF wall panel project, so if there is anything else you think I need to make the job easier, I'm all ears!

Thanks vm

Sponsored Links

Festool TS55REBQ-Plus TS55R 240v Circular / Plunge saw in Systainer T-Loc (x1 at £295)

As a long time track saw user with a TS55 I'd say to skip the clamps. They just aren't necessary for 99% of the cuts I make (especially at £64 a pair). Complete overkill on MDF as the rubber strips on the backs of the rails hold well enough on their own. Also make sure that you have TWO rail joiners (not sure if they are still sold singly or in pairs) because you need two to join the rails firmly - I'm assuming that you're going for the kit which comes with a 1400mm rail already. On the other hand you WILL need a vacuum cleaner to attach to the saw if you haven't already got one as it makes life much, much easier. No need to go overboard even a £30 Earlex is better than none, although not as good as a Bosch, Metabo, Fein or Festool industrial vacuum (each about as good as the other). With a vacuum attached it is possible to make many cuts indoors with much reduced clean-up

One point which may not have been made - it is far easier to use a saw/rail combination standing up, with the work on trestles (safer, less back strain, etc) and you do need to support the MDF so that it is relatively flat as the system doesn't work on material which is not adequately supported. A couple of trestles and two or three lengths of 3 x 2 studding (sacrificial as you will cut into the surface by a couple of mm) are just the ticket

As a long time track saw user with a TS55 I'd say to skip the clamps. They just aren't necessary for 99% of the cuts I make (especially at £64 a pair). Complete overkill on MDF as the rubber strips on the backs of the rails hold well enough on their own. Also make sure that you have TWO rail joiners (not sure if they are still sold singly or in pairs) because you need two to join the rails firmly - I'm assuming that you're going for the kit which comes with a 1400mm rail already. On the other hand you WILL need a vacuum cleaner to attach to the saw if you haven't already got one as it makes life much, much easier. No need to go overboard even a £30 Earlex is better than none, although not as good as a Bosch, Metabo, Fein or Festool industrial vacuum (each about as good as the other). With a vacuum attached it is possible to make many cuts indoors with much reduced clean-up

One point which may not have been made - it is far easier to use a saw/rail combination standing up, with the work on trestles (safer, less back strain, etc) and you do need to support the MDF so that it is relatively flat as the system doesn't work on material which is not adequately supported. A couple of trestles and two or three lengths of 3 x 2 studding (sacrificial as you will cut into the surface by a couple of mm) are just the ticket

Thanks very much for the advice. My old mate used the makita set up and I seem to recall he relied on the guide rail adhering to the MDF without need of clamps. I have been left his Trend vacuum so I'll be using that to try to keep the dust down.

I couldnt find the kit option on offer from FFX. I'm looking at these as individual items:

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/4014549015834 festool fs1400 2 1.4m 1400mm guide rail for ts55r

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/...r 240v circular plunge saw in systainer t-loc

Am I right in saying this is the latest version of the saw and associated guide rail, incidentally does the guide rail pack come as two 1400mm lengths? (1400/2?) Happy to buy the joiners you mentioned in which case I'll order two of these?: http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Connecting Piece For Guide Rail Fs1400 482107 4014549072004 Fsv

On your advice about the working environment, I have looked on youtube and I think the first step is to construct a box section sacrificial table like this 'dude'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4VTxEGyU0Y[url]

all you need is a strip off 6 or 12mm ply laid under the the board around 10-20mm back from the cut line or on the cut line to reduce the very low chipping risk underneath

a plunge saw or any saw works best at 2 teeth [around 2-3mm] sticking out

the exception is when you are cutting something that wont move like skirting or flooring then you set it to 0.5-1mm shallow

all you need is a strip off 6 or 12mm ply laid under the the board around 10-20mm back from the cut line or on the cut line to reduce the very low chipping risk underneath

a plunge saw or any saw works best at 2 teeth [around 2-3mm] sticking out

the exception is when you are cutting something that wont move like skirting or flooring then you set it to 0.5-1mm shallow

Excellent, thanks again for the continued advice.

FFX are listing them:
http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/... 240v Circular Plunge saw in Systainer T-Loc

Hi,

I'm looking at getting the Festool TS55R with 1.4m guide rail and quick release clamps.

I was interested to see someone mentioning FFX.co.uk. I’ve had a good hunt around and they do seem to be considerably cheaper than the rest.

It has left me a little concerned as on other forums people have said Festool prices are normally the same everywhere with very little discounting done. I was just wondering if these guys are reliable and if I'm getting the latest incarnation of the saw/accessories etc.

Thanks in advance.

Festool got a large fine a few months ago for basically price fixing. Since then most stores can now discount there tools.

John...

FFX are listing them:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Festool got a large fine a few months ago for basically price fixing. Since then most stores can now discount there tools.

John...

Thanks John I didnt know that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back