Trade tips for removing seized valves from a radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put some new valves in an old radiator and the old valves are seized in the radiator. I wondered what the trick is to get them out? Heat treatment with a blow torch (assuming the rad doesn't conduct the heat away), several wacks with a hammer? They are older valves that don't take the large hex key.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There are several different types of rad valve turning options and I would like to know what thread size and what turning option yours use. There are also different rads, pressed steel, aluminium, cast iron etc!

Most heating engineers can get most valves out but I cannot give you any detailed guidance without full details and ideally a photo.

Tony

Sponsored Links
some heat usually works, or try using a shifter on the allan key to give more leverage

try taking the valve off the pipe, refitting to the rad tail(very tight) then undoing the whole lot using the valve as the bit you unscrew with your grips, it'll bring the tail out with it a lot easier.

Use this method when my rad tail ratchet fails to do the job.

Thanks for the tip. Since I am going to get a new boiler installed and the corgi will charge a large amount, I figured he could struggle with replacing valves on 6 rads :)

try taking the valve off the pipe, refitting to the rad tail(very tight) then undoing the whole lot using the valve as the bit you unscrew with your grips, it'll bring the tail out with it a lot easier.

Use this method when my rad tail ratchet fails to do the job.

Lee im surprised at you. :eek:

2 ball pein hammers.

the corgi will charge a large amount, I figured he could struggle with replacing valves on 6 rads
Yes but he won't do it free.
£60/hr maybe. OK?

I need to put some new valves in an old radiator and the old valves are seized in the radiator.
Do you mean that the tails are seized in the radiator?

If so, then leave them in - removal is a risk that isn't worth taking. Just fit valves that match the tails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back