Traditional Bakelite Electric Doorbell - help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D96B0F86-E46D-4C65-96B1-599256B81195.jpeg
7B2CE765-0864-4767-A70F-74296C9D66D2.jpeg
5AD10F8B-4173-48B7-82B1-C9B293501C96.jpeg
B6D7A58C-D5A3-4E1E-B50C-6FAD36EF898E.jpeg
7D9CA8A5-7467-41FF-A6F0-799A5599E380.jpeg
81A8BE96-1064-4B19-B848-41EBA137815D.jpeg
Hello - I have bought a replacement doorbell for the one that the removal men broke when we moved into our house. Unfortunately I have no idea how to wire it and what I have tried is not working (the transformer is still working as when the doorbell was pressed the other doorbell still vibrates but didn’t make a loud noise hence replacing it!). Is anyone able to help me without me having to get an electrician out? I have attached a few photos of old bell and new bell in case that helps!

Thanks for any help.
Nicola

Sponsored Links
Does the Armature actually move still when the Doorbell is pressed? Might just need a slight adjustment so it strikes the bell?

Just double checked and nothing at all when the doorbell is pressed.

Do you know what voltage the old and new bells are? You may need to change the voltage at the transformer, some old bells need only 4V which is too low for most others, 8 and 12V are common voltages for newer bells.

I take it whoever did the painting did the cutting in with a roller!

Sponsored Links
The circuit appears to be this

0x82.jpg

The black bar is the moving armature.

Some of the circuit is via the metal frame that hold the coils and the spring of the armature

Red and blue will give a single DING when that button is pressed, Red and green will give a continuous ring

Thank you for the replies! We only have one push button - but the wiring as you say could be for a second one which isn't used any more. Bernardgreen - in your picture is Supply the transformer that we have? Is anyone able to tell me where the wires should go in the new doorbell? Thanks, Nicola

0x83.jpg

Blue ( supply to frame and armature )
then from the other side of the supply either the Whites or the Reds depending on which cable goes to the door bell that you are using,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back