Doorbell transformer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m planning to fit one of these video doorbells to the front door. It runs off the low voltage AC to the existing doorbell button (about 10V as I measure it).

But what this has got me wondering is, where is the low voltage transformer? I opened the actual bell in the hallway, but I think that’s just the bell itself – there doesn't appear to be mains on anything there, or any sign of a transformer.

Is there a transformer hanging around up in the attic somewhere, under a foot of insulation? Just worried in case I ever have to replace it or whatever… thanks :D

20181217_095044.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Most door bell transformers are rated for a very low duty cycle and will get warm ( or hot ) if they are continuously supplying current as low as 10% of the rated current.

Turns out I hadn’t really thought about how it works.

When it’s “idling”, the only power needed is for the motion sensor and LED illuminated ring around the button. It’s been on all day, and no detectable heat from that little transformer.

If somebody approaches, it turns the camera on for a while, sends an alert to my phone, and rings the old doorbell if somebody presses the button. But that doesn't last very long – anyway, as I say, no heat that I can feel.

So all good hopefully – I’m rather pleased with it, actually – if somebody pops by when I’m out shopping or whatever, I can even talk to them in the doorway from my phone :D

One of these, if anybody's interested - currently £90. Argos have them.

Don’t you need to pay a subscription to record and retain images?

Don’t you need to pay a subscription to record and retain images?

Yes, but I don't want to do that. All I really need is to be able to see who's at the door before I answer it - we get a lot of religious nut-cases endlessly polluting the porches around here. This way, I can sit in my armchair, see who they are, politely decline their offer of half an hour of glassy-eyed evangelism and flecks of spit in my face - then, if they don't clear off, activate the optional boiling oil mechanism. I haven't found that in the catalogue yet, but I'm assuming it's available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back