TRAINCO OIL BURNER LOCK OUT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!!
I have a Trainco Eurostar WM 50/70 boiler. That fires up ok, then locks out after about 10 - 15 mins. I thought a service was due so I:

Replaced the burner jet
Replaced the photo -cell
Cleaned the baffles
Checked the electrode positions

But it still locks out after 10- 15 mins...

The baffles did not have the usual soot covering but appeared more rusty red, with some white deposit - may be a clue.

I awaiting to borrow a CO2 meter to check the combustion, but in the mean time ask if anybody can give me a clue.

Does anybody know what can cause a lock out? Can it be either of the boiler thermostats?
I have tried turning down the boiler stat to low and it does cycle, but when turned higher it locks out - could this be an indication of the Boiler Limit Thermo stat being faulty?

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in cold anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Try the oil pump solenoid valve. Start the boiler and as soon as it locks out, check resistance in the coil. If it is open circuit, there is tour problem.

Thanks for the very swift reply Oilhead

I have a multi meter so that sounds like a plan. Do I need to disconnect the solenoid before measuring? If so how?

The solenoid has its own plug which you release......its wire heads into the control box.
Take its resistance when it is cold, and again when the thing locks out, as per O's advice.
John :)

Sponsored Links
OK, found that coil. A tad difficult to get to due to the boiler being up against a LH wall, and adjacent to wall cupboard, I have the take the burner out to get to it. It has a resistance of 2.07 ohms.

Also, I noticed that the burner shuts down, then the fan runs for a few secs 10 - 15 maybe, then I get the lock out.

Thanks for the help keep it coming!!!

Your cold reading is normal, but you need to measure it as soon as it locks out. What you describe is the control box recycling after flame loss. Still sounds like the solenoid to me.

I would expect a reading of 2KΩ on a good coil !!

2.07 Ω is a short nearly.

All fixed. I was going to change the solenoid valve, but found that I could buy a pump complete with valve for only £15 extra. I had also noticed either the pump or blower motor were noisy, so bought a pump.

Anyway fitted new pump - nice and quite and cured problem. Set pressure and CO2 all fine

Thank you all for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back