New Trainco combi boiler problems (big headache)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new trainco combi oil boiler which keeps locking out.

Theres a bit of a story, so ill try and be quick.

I own a farm and have staff accommodation in two houses, one house has oil heating for years working fine with a old trainco boiler 10mm oil pipe supplied via a metal oil tank.

I decided to get a new tranico contractor 110 combi boiler fitted next door (detached) as it never had central heating. I got someone in who said they where qualified in doing so.

When he finished the boiler never run right and keep locking out after a few days. I rung him and asked him to come back and look at it, which he eventually did. He said he had a 'fiddle' and to try that and see how it went.

Didnt change the problem and couldnt get hold of him and when i did he never turned up when he said he would. (this was going on for weeks)

The second part of the story is where someone else comes in. I have a handyman who knows abit about these as he services the others i have (4 in total) This is what he found and done.

Boiler was in total lock out, wouldnt run at all. Found the photo cell completely black and the burner very sooty. Cleaned the photo cell and fired up and run, kicking out thick black smoke and black bits. Pump pressure adjusted 'down' from 200psi..!!!! to the correct 100psi which then burned cleanly.

Still locking out, trouble was it seemed like it was still locking out due to the oil feed being tee'd into the existing 10mm oil line after the filter for the other boiler. I.E it wouldnt run if the other boiler was running.

So he installed a new 10mm pipe that was teed in with the other supply directly at the tank, new fliter and a isolator tap to the boiler.

Bled, fired up both boilers, run up central heating for about an hour, all left running fine.

Nope... still locked out next morning.

Seems air is still getting in somewhere as the burner needs several resets or bleeding to run after a period of time i.e over night. All pipes have been visually checked twice and have no leaks.

The other boiler has remained unaffected all this time and has never locked out.

I am at my wits end, org installer has disapeared and dont even know if i want him back. Handyman is coming to the end of his experience and we dont know what to check or do..

Sorry for going on, i know its a lot to read but does anyone have any ideas? Maybe a one way valve or the boilers faulty?

Thanks guys..

Sponsored Links
dont know the specs for your new boiler, is it set up to burn the same fuel oil as the other boiler. Check the install instructions for injector size/type and fuel rating.

Get a qualified oil boiler (OFTEC) engineer in to check the system over.

If air is getting into the oil line then oil could be leaking out and if the Enviromental Agency get to hear of an oil leak it could cost thousands for them to decontaminate the area. (Know someone this happened to!!).

You have had two totally inexperienced persons 'fiddling' with the boiler so by now the settings would be way out. Pump pressure (100psi ??) is only part of the equasion.

Thanks guys.

Im pretty sure its just standard kerosene that i get delivered for all my boilers, ill check tho.

It does say all over the place (on boiler itself and in manual) it needs to run at 100psi.

Its definitely not leaking on the pipe work, as i said this has been checked many times. The flexly section inside the boiler is a different matter as was pointed out to me that it had been flattened. Maybe this is damaged inside? Looks ok from the outside.

Trouble is i think a oftec man would laugh and condem it..!

These are basic things arent they, ok yes the co needs checking for clean burn but would it cause these problems if not spot on?

Sponsored Links
As above post, burner could be over-aired you should get an OFTEC Engineer to Commission it, Was the Installer not oftec Reg, if not how has the job been notified to LABC?? you might have problem getting an OFTEC guy to get involved if no LABC or Oftec CD/10 from the installer :confused:

Sure we didnt get any paper work, i didnt deal with it directly tho.

The air setting is on 2, the lowest?

I know your right, it needs someone whos trained to look at it, im just loathed to pay out again, especially if its something simple..that said...anyone in my area?

lol

Trouble is i think a oftec man would laugh and condem it..!
In which case I would be worried really worried, no angry if I had spent real money and ended up with a dangerous installation.

But a thought if it is as bad as you are making out did you pay the installer before he rode forth into the sunset?

I hope its not that bad..!! In fact im sure its not.

No more ideas then?

I am sorry but you are coming over as a penny pinching farmer who chose an incompetent ( and probably not OFTEC ) because he was cheap !

You probably paid him with cash and no receipt?

Now you are faced with a poor installation, in fact so poor that you are hesitant to call a real OFTEC.

The correct solution is for you to call a proper OFTEC to give you a written report on the short comings. Take pictures as additional evidence.

Then get two or three quote to put it right if its over , say £300, then choose the cheapest or best qualified and get it professionally sorted out.

Ask the installer to meet the cost. If not then sue him and add a bit for general inconvenience.

I do presume you know his full name and address dont you?

Tony

No more ideas then?
Everything has been spelt out really - The boiler needs CORRECTLY setting up!!

1. Soot will build up quickly if combustion is wrong.

2. There is a leak somewhere in oil line.
Seems air is still getting in somewhere as the burner needs several resets or bleeding to run after a period of time i.e over night. All pipes have been visually checked twice and have no leaks.
How is the air getting in if there were no leaks? If oil and air tight (ie no leaks) as it should be air couldn't get into boiler. Pressure test oil line properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back