Oil boiler tail of woe...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to help a friend out here, so would welcome any help here as he's tearing his hair out with repeating problems.

He had a tranico oil boiler, with a max burner installed by some cowboy about 2 years ago. Was incorrectly installed and commissioned, a host of problems, always locking out.

Then he had a oftec guy in who correctly set it up, said it was running on a .35 sec nozzle when they are on .28. Checked co and smoke all good, been running for about a year, no problems at all.(as far as I know)

Had it serviced a month ago, new nozzle, co checked no smoke, running better than ever. (so I'm told)

Now randomly locking out, I found out the other day (due to no hot water when working in the house) the flexly oil line to burner was leaking, they replaced this and we hoped it would solve the problem.

It hasn't. It only locks out on first fire up if off for a period of time and runs fine cutting in and out in a short space of time.

Fires up on second reset of lock out and then ok, until its off for a few hours.

Any ideas...

Sponsored Links
Its important to keep the boiler baffles really clean on these.....any obstruction means that the burner gets grumpy for the first start of the day.
John :)

Thanks, maybe he didn't clean them very well, tho wouldn't this affect the readings?

Also did I read something about removing baffles if there's running problems?

"Tail of woe" ???

Dont you mean "Tale of woe" ?

It sounds as if you or your friend ( why isn't he asking? ) has not called the experienced OFTEC man who knows how to set up the boiler properly.

My advice is to call him because he will be able to sort it out properly.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The baffles slow down the passage of the hot gases leaving the burner and heading for the flue...therefore there is more chance of the heat actually getting into the water jacket than would otherwise be the case.
If the air passages are obstructed then the burner can't purge the flue with fresh air effectively to give a good start.
So, the baffles need to be clean, and distortion minimal for them to be effective. Some Trianco boilers need the baffle spaces ground away with an angle grinder to allow this to happen.

"Tail of woe" ???

Dont you mean "Tale of woe" ?

It sounds as if you or your friend ( why isn't he asking? ) has not called the experienced OFTEC man who knows how to set up the boiler properly.

My advice is to call him because he will be able to sort it out properly.

Tony

Tail, tale who cares, only you obviously.

I have put it exactly how it happened, no reading between the lines needed.

I'll bypass your advice thanks.

The baffles slow down the passage of the hot gases leaving the burner and heading for the flue...therefore there is more chance of the heat actually getting into the water jacket than would otherwise be the case.
If the air passages are obstructed then the burner can't purge the flue with fresh air effectively to give a good start.
So, the baffles need to be clean, and distortion minimal for them to be effective. Some Trianco boilers need the baffle spaces ground away with an angle grinder to allow this to happen.

Thanks again,

I have read this before somewhere about the baffles, I might take a look but this thing has been a right pain in the arse and I don't know if I want to get involved.

Could this mean he didn't take out the baffles and Hoover thoroughly? Or didn't at all?

I'll have to ask if it was locking out before the service.

I just have is annoying habbit of thinking I can do better where others have failed..!

I have this annoying habit of thinking that most professionals know a lot more than DIYers and particularly more than interfering neighbours!

Thats even more relevant with oil boilers which can be quite idiosyncratic.

I help friends and neighbours by assisting them to find competent professionals who can do the job properly.

Tony

I have this annoying habit of thinking that most professionals know a lot more than DIYers and particularly more than interfering neighbours!

Thats even more relevant with oil boilers which can be quite idiosyncratic.

I help friends and neighbours by assisting them to find competent professionals who can do the job properly.

Tony

well said well said

now go get yellow pages out and pay an expert Aigle and I are trying to earn a living well when u mess it up completely we will gladly come fit a new burner for a very high price of course :D

Some of you seem to be missing the point that this guy has spent a fortune (on top the installation cost) trying to get this problem sorted.

"professionals included"

So why shouldn't I try and help the guy out.

Your friends problems began when he employed a "cowboy".

The professional sorted out the problem and it worked fine for over a year.

When other problems occured for some reason the professional was not called again.

There is only one reason why you would ever want to try to do it and thats because you are hoping that he will pay you something.

If you were a genuine friend then you would give him the correct advice which is that you are not qualified or experienced and he needs a professional who knows what to do!

I sometimes get called to sort out problems caused by interfering friends and neighbours! Unfortunately I am too honest to charge the increased fee that those situations deserve.

Tony

Your friends problems began when he employed a "cowboy".

The professional sorted out the problem and it worked fine for over a year.

When other problems occured for some reason the professional was not called again.

There is only one reason why you would ever want to try to do it and thats because you are hoping that he will pay you something.

If you were a genuine friend then you would give him the correct advice which is that you are not qualified or experienced and he needs a professional!

Tony

I wasn't clear in my first post, the same oftec engineer was called back for the service recently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back