Training as a joiner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice on re-training as a joiner? Its always something Ive been keen on and am always doing my own work at home. I currently work in the oil industry but I think its time to change trades to something more reliable and something I actually enjoy. Any help/advice would be appreciated. I live in Aberdeenshire if that helps!

Sponsored Links
do you mean a site carpenter?

and if so, what sort of work do you want? -roofing, 1st fix, 2nd fix, interiors, cabinetry, kitchen fitting?
domestic or new build or industrial?

your region is fairly remote, you might need to see where the demand is.

Not sure really. Interiors would be ideal, maybe 1st or 2nd fix. Maybe not new build stuff as not keen on new builds

Not sure really. Interiors would be ideal, maybe 1st or 2nd fix. Maybe not new build stuff as not keen on new builds

I know carpenters who make a good career out of interiors. They tend to do fitted wardrobes, kitchen fitting, a bit of door hanging etc.

these days with festool track saws and extraction, it is possible to build lots of stuff on site, clean and accurate carcassing.

it would be worth your while doing some research to see how many people are offering that sort of work in your area -have alook at any websites of facebook pages to get an idea.

your big decision, of course is how to finance your career change -while you retrain and take a hit on apprentice or labourers wages.
there is a lot that can be learnt online and in books -its worth starting there to get some knowledge whilst we are stuck in this lock down

Sponsored Links
Worth mentioning that a modern apprenticeship (to level 3) takes 3 years and that you'd need to be at least level 2 to get any sort of wage. As to interior fit, especially on old/listed buildings, I've found that sort of work requires a bit more experience than the average level 2 or level 3 improver has unless they were apprenticed in that area and have knowledge/experience of some of the older techniques. In this part of the world a site joiner (carpenter) is expected to be able to do a full build, from hoardings to roofing (admittedly truss), windows doors, interior fit (skirts archis, etc), kitchens, fitted bedrooms etc. A lot of agency guys I've worked with can't so they get bumped off pretty quickly. The more you can do, efficiently, the longer they'll keep you, although your first few years are likely to be pretty tough I'd say

Worth mentioning that a modern apprenticeship (to level 3) takes 3 years and that you'd need to be at least level 2 to get any sort of wage. As to interior fit, especially on old/listed buildings, I've found that sort of work requires a bit more experience than the average level 2 or level 3 improver has unless they were apprenticed in that area and have knowledge/experience of some of the older techniques. In this part of the world a site joiner (carpenter) is expected to be able to do a full build, from hoardings to roofing (admittedly truss), windows doors, interior fit (skirts archis, etc), kitchens, fitted bedrooms etc. A lot of agency guys I've worked with can't so they get bumped off pretty quickly. The more you can do, efficiently, the longer they'll keep you, although your first few years are likely to be pretty tough I'd say

it is a deceptively highly skilled trade.

Good maths skills are very helpful -although often something Ive found carpenters struggle with, esp angles.

My personal view is that NVQs havent kept up with modern techniques.

I would say its a job where you never stop learning.

it is a deceptively highly skilled trade.
If I were being sarcastic I'd say, "Nah, any fool can do it", and when it comes to basic stud walling, plain skirtings and the like that's true enough, but I'd say both you and I know that there are a lot of awkward, complex tasks which more experienced joiners perform which take nous, experience and a decent toolkit.

I would say its a job where you never stop learning.
I can but concur with you. But this has always been a trade where you (should) learn more all the time and where only a certain percentage of what you need to know to be an efficient worker producing good quality work can be found in the text books.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back