Training To Become An Electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on what is the best route to take to become a qualified / certified electrician?

I currently hold 0 qualifications which would count towards a domestic / commercial electrician, however my job is to design electrical & electronic control circuits and therefore I consider myself fairly competent in electrical theory and have electronic qualifications which include some electrical elements, although now probably too old to be relevant.

I'm not particularly interested in becoming a full time electrician, but my company has other departments which require electricians for their installation work, most of which is domestic.
I could pick up overtime & weekend shifts with them and the pay is pretty reasonable, as well as doing odd jobs for family / friends etc.

Unfortunately, all the installers at my work have done apprenticeships, which I'm not in a position to be starting at this time of life.

NICEIC website is more than somewhat fluffy on what is required. There is a section on domestic installation (part p), which seems to be aimed at larger companies since it talks about appointing supervisors etc. The other section on 'competent persons' which mentions notification to building control, but covers electrical, plumbing, ventilation etc.

I know I would need BS7671 18th Edition, but what else ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the pointer.
Having looked at the regs a bit more closely, there isn't actually that much that is notifiable work, we aren't involved in consumer unit replacements or bathrooms, the only other thing notifiable is the addition of a circuit.
What is classed as the addition of a circuit?
If I were to add a fused spur, is that an additional circuit or modification of an existing?

In England, notifiable work is replacement consumer unit, new circuit and work within the zones of a bathroom.
For those that do such work, it's far cheaper to pay an annual fee to one of the schemes, rather than pay each time to notify direct to building control.

However notification is just a tiny piece of admin, unrelated to actually being competent to carry out electrical work.

Whether notifiable or not, you will still need to be competent to actually do electrical work, which includes a suitable level of experience, qualifications, owning tools and test equipment and knowing how to use them.

The minimum requirements for NICEIC are here: https://www.niceic.com/join-us/approved-contractor-scheme-(1)/eas-entry-requirements-april-21.aspx
NAPIT version here: http://www.napit.org.uk/downloads/forms/napit-guide-to-qualifications-requirements-electrical.pdf which is basically the same.
Membership of schemes is optional, but if you don't meet those requirements, then you should not be doing electrical work as part of your job.

Sponsored Links
I know I'm late to this party, but I started an apprenticeship aged 33. Loving life. Though you didn't mention your age. I found an employer that treats apprentices with respect and equally to the trades staff in terms of conditions. And the pay is very good. £15k year 1. 17k year 2. 18.5k year 3. Don't know about year 4 yet. But appreciate such companies are few and far between. Good luck.

£15 a year at 33??
That's less than minimum wage for a 40 hour week.

Back