Training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a friend who wants to train as an electrician.

The general opinion here is that fast track is A Bad Thing.

How would you recommend he trains?

Sponsored Links
What I did was enroll on the 2330 course for 2 years then went on to do the NVQ3 and AM2 assessment. You need to have an electrical placement for the nvq stage but do not need one for the first 2 years. I was lucky and had a placement for all 3 years and feel that it was defo a benefit. I just don't see how you will achieve the required standard with out the experience you get from working on site though. That's why I don't rate theses fast track courses. I also don't understand how they can teach the required theory in such a short time either. I think your friend would be better off doing properly and not rush into something that can be potentially lethal.

I would think the main priority is to try and find a firm who are willing to take him on as an apprentice.

I realise this is easier said than done.

Sponsored Links
Years ago night classes in this area allowed one to take the 2381, PAT testing can't remember number, and 2391 one after the other 30 weeks in all. For an adult that was doable and a good start.

The problem with the 2330 is it's so boring with most of the course teaching common knowledge items like steel is a conductor and the important stuff can easy be missed because it's wrapped in all the common sense stuff. It's is after all designed for a school leaver.

Much of course depends on back ground I started as an Auto electrician and so I suppose I already had the basics.

I followed the three courses with a degree my son followed it with a HND in both cases they miss the hands on stuff which clearly is also required. But in real terms college does not teach the real hands on stuff if I had formed tray as they showed in the college I would not have lasted long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back