Trampoline in ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to lower the trampoline so
a. the kids can get on/off it easier and
b. build a raised decking platform around it to hide the weedy mess that lies under and around the trampoline.

Question I have is, and I cannot see why I cant do this, is using a pick-axe, to dig out just where the feet of the trampoline currently sit so the trampoline will sit lower.

I will ensure there is still plenty clearance between ground and trampoline for jumping. Base does not stretch that much with my kids on there but would keep
plenty clearance for bounce.

The trampoline cannot go anywhere

I have only seen pictures where the whole ground is dug out for the trampoline but cannot understand why you would need to dig out anything more than where the legs sit as its hollow under the trampoline? and then build retainer walls etc.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I guess the trampoline manufacturers leave the amount of gap between the floor and base for a reason, you can take the chance and only do the legs and leave a smaller gap to the floor but the injuries that could be caused as a result of miscalculation may not be worth it, I know how bad they can be a a friend of my daughter broke both of her shine bones that came through the skin when landed too straight legged and that was with the correct distance and not the base hitting the ground.

a-ha. So its to maintain the full distance between canvas and floor. That makes sense. Thanks. But as I am not wanting to make it flush with the ground so I wouldn't need to add any additional measures?

Just for the avoidance of doubt, as long as you dig out the whole area under the trampoline bed to the same depth as the legs are sitting, then there won't be a risk of users contacting the ground. The trampoline is made a certain height for safety, otherwise they wouldn't waste metal making them taller.
However you need to consider whether the legs will rust quicker and whether you can inspect as easily.
Also you may find it turns into a pond some times of the year.
Personally I'd stick to having it on the surface and provide a step for the kids!

Sponsored Links
I've always wondered why they are so high, is it to stop kids below certain height/age being able to climb on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back