Tranico oil boiler and Megaflo have heating but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Tranico oil fired boiler and a Megaflo system fitted in my house. The system started playing up a couple of weeks ago. When the timer cut in for the water to heat the boiler would start and stop a few times before running normally, just liken the boiler wasn't igniting. It is now not firing up at all so I turned down the room thermostat so the heating would cut in and the boiler is fine which makes me think the problem is in the airing cubard. The megaflo is fitted with an immersion heater which will heat the water fine when turned on. There are two wires out from the Megaflo, one goes into the immersion switch and one into a electrical box. Would it be a thermostat problem? If so are there 1 or 2 thermostats and where are they located and is it possable to test them. Im no electriction but know my way round the wiring and am a Auto mechanic so have an idea on the subject. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
If boiler fires fine when heating comes on, then it's highly unlikey to be boiler.

Do have 2x 2 port motorised valves or 1x 3 port?

I'd like to leave the thermostat issue to someone with a brain cell, but as far as the burner is concerned when it starts up (8 second purge, followed by ignition) it should continue to run smoothly for as long as it takes for its stored water to get hot enough to be shut off by the boiler thermostat, and at that point the burner turns back off for a while.
If the burner doesn't start up smoothly then its a problem within that unit itself.
Perhaps you could be more specific with its starting?
John :)

Yes I have 2 x 2 way valves one of which I had to replace last winter as the heating circ pump wouldn't stop runing. The one I didn't replace is a Honeywell.

Sponsored Links
The boiler runs fine on the heating cycle. On the hot water cycle it started to play up by purging and trying to ignite 3 or 4 times before running properly. Now it doesn't do anything when the timer clicks on for the water to heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back