Transexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, except at birth there are still only two choices. It can't be left blank, and TBD is not a valid entry,

Such an option isn't necessary.
The obvious other choices are: "non-binary", or "TBD".

I belive a about 10% of the population is the best guess, but I might have my decoimal point in the wrong place (no pun intended), and being "very, very vocal" is just your perception.
It's very difficult to estimate because of the question: what are you estimating? Non-binary, gender-fluid, gay, unnasigned gender, transgender, etc.
And I'm sure there are many that would not admit to their preferred gender or sexuality. Although I suspect people nowadays are much more likely to respond honestly than say. 25 years ago.
Who knows what the real estimate might be, say in another 25 years.

Studies estimate that gender-diverse persons represent 0.1 to 2% of populations investigated, but no such assessment was performed in Latin America. In a representative sample of Brazil’s adult population (n = 6000), we investigated participants' sociodemographic characteristics and possible associations between these and current gender identity, categorized as cisgender, transgender or non-binary gender.

About 5% of young adults in the U.S. say their gender is different from their sex assigned at birth

About 5 percent of young adults identify as transgender or nonbinary, U.S. survey finds
Adults younger than 30 are more likely than older adults to say their gender differs from their sex assigned at birth, a new Pew Research Center report found.

There are 262,000 people living in England and Wales in March 2021 who identified with a gender different from their sex registered at birth, according to the latest Census 2021 figures out today.

New studies find millions of young nonbinary and transgender Americans
Identify, identify, identify ...

Not the same a biological male, biological female, and unassigned.

Sponsored Links
Some sporting bodies, swimming and another, o think, have adopted three policy of sticking with 2 gender categories, and only women born female, and still identifying as women, can complete in the women's group. Everybody else in men.

Seems the fairest way to me.

Mmm, this is a no win can of worms. But I have some actual 'human' experience of trans people, and I always return to this idea...

'I absolutely do not believe', that there is a white person who'd rather be black, or a straight person who'd rather be gay. I believe there are very likely black people who'd prefer to be white and gay people who'd prefer to be straight.

So it is with trans men and women*. Why 'wish' to be in a vilified and mocked minority. It's a thing, not a mental 'affectation'. Leave them be to get on with their lives.

*People who actually feel they have been assigned the wrong gender, not drag artists or fetish trannies.

To add: Sport should be birth sex only. Nobody can have it all.

In biological terms your sex determines at least some of the ailments you can be afflicted with. It isn't a matter of personal preference.
That's true, but it isn't the reason for assigning sex at birth.

TBH there are many far more important issues than this in our society today which are being pushed out of the light by this issue.
Depends whether you're affected by discrimination or not.

Sponsored Links
Athletes have routinely taken PEDs, despite knowing they may harm them in the mid to long-term, may get them sanctioned (up to life bans).
Some do it repeatedly; brazenly, even.
"Asthma" among pro cyclists is common, as this permits clembutorol to be prescribed (steroid which burns fat; ideal for upping power-to-weight ratio).
The Spanish para-basketball team was almost exclusively made up of players without learning difficulties.

A not-insignificant number of athletes cheat, in all manner of ways.

"Absolutely", you say?
For sure.
Many people smoke or drink too much knowing it's dangerous to health, but there's always the belief it won't happen to them.
Changing sex or cheating just to compete in a different category of sport is a whole different ball game, (no pun intended).

Don't know about that, but gender dysphoria is a mental disorder.
Yes agreed, it;s assigned as a mental disorder. But it;s usually the stress caused by societal pressure to conform that creates the negative emotions.
Although admittedly there are some serious issues concerning desire to self-harm. This also probably has some origin in the stress caused by societal pressure.

Some sporting bodies, swimming and another, o think, have adopted three policy of sticking with 2 gender categories, and only women born female, and still identifying as women, can complete in the women's group. Everybody else in men.

Seems the fairest way to me.
The youngest international athletenwasnabout 10 years old, I believe. What if that 10 year old was someone born male but transitioned to female?
What about competition in junior categories?
Is there not an argument to be made that decisions should be on a case by case basis.

The youngest international athletenwasnabout 10 years old, I believe. What if that 10 year old was someone born male but transitioned to female?
What about competition in juior categories?
Is there not an argument to be made that decisions should be on a case by case basis.
Tough. People do not have a right to complete in athletics under their own terms.

Athletes have routinely taken PEDs, despite knowing they may harm them in the mid to long-term, may get them sanctioned (up to life bans).
Some do it repeatedly; brazenly, even.
"Asthma" among pro cyclists is common, as this permits clembutorol to be prescribed (steroid which burns fat; ideal for upping power-to-weight ratio).
The Spanish para-basketball team was almost exclusively made up of players without learning difficulties.

A not-insignificant number of athletes cheat, in all manner of ways.

"Absolutely", you say?
Is clen a steroid?

B
Tough. People do not have a right to complete in athletics under their own terms.
But junior competitions blows a hole in the "not after maturity" debate.

And why do some sports maintain a sex segregation when physique or strength is not a significant factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back