Transformers around the area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WE have all seen then grey humming boxes on random streets, but how secure are they in safety and anti tamper proof?

Sponsored Links
Most times people only break into them once! There is an internal mechanism which will normally shot it being done twice called electrocution.
There are rules in 17th Edition covering the boxes but anyone who really wants can break in to them.

the only thing that would stop you gaining access to the core are the NUTS and BOLTS holding the lid onto the tank. but as ericmark mentions, people only ever try it once. I know its a popular sport amongst gypos, trying to steal a transformer core, i have seen a few attempts to cut live cables, but never a LIVE core, plenty of Dead ones but never a live one. There are set guide lines about fencind etc ect, but as far as SCOT POWER are concerned, outdoor compund transformers are only secured by nuts and bolts on the lid!

Sponsored Links
I have a mate who works for EDF told me a load of gypos got into a sub station and before they could get the copper out had a big chain which was chucked over the buzz bars the breakers went out and the chain fell to the floor unaware to the ******, sub stations reset after 10 seconds unless the fault is left there and the 2nd time the fault accures the sub station shuts down.

because the chain didnt stay on the bars the sub reset and what was left was a pair of burnt of trainers.

aye, the auto-reclosers are a great idea, but **** for vandals :LOL:

I have a mate who works for EDF told me a load of gypos got into a sub station and before they could get the copper out had a big chain which was chucked over the buzz bars the breakers went out and the chain fell to the floor unaware to the ******, sub stations reset after 10 seconds unless the fault is left there and the 2nd time the fault accures the sub station shuts down.

because the chain didnt stay on the bars the sub reset and what was left was a pair of burnt of trainers.

There might be some truth in that, but we've all heard the '...all that was left were a pair of shoes..." thing attached to almost every story involving HV. I would be interested to know why, if there truly is a large enough amount of energy available to break every part of the human body down into carbon dust, why the unlucky person's shoes would be left behind. It's a nice story, but my understanding of physics says no.

Auto reclosers usually protect a larger part of the HV network than a single spur to a single sub station.

They usually auto reclose twice before locking out.

Modern ones can be remotely re-closed, and a central station is informed if one does open.

give me a day or 5 and i'll get you a picture of it uncovered, or one similar

In my experience, a flashover caused by somebody intefereing with switchgear causes severe burning to the area that came into contact, ie arms,chest and face area and is usually fatal, but have never heard a genuine case of "smoking trainers". In recent years the gypos, or whoever is trying to steal the copper etc etc, follow the new installation chaps round and get to it before it is energised, or even better "acquired" a set of substation keys and the basic knowledge of what switch open or relay to trip. The chain over the busbar method is usually on o/h lines or what "we" call 33kv outdoor substations where the 33kv side is in open air. and as had been mentioned, if fitted with auto-reclosers it can be a very dangerous game to play!!! If anyone has ever seen a live 11kv cable spiked, thats a good enough warning to stay away from the stuff..............

In my experience, they just get an acetylene torch, get it going, lay it pointing onto the cable and move back a fair bit.

Once it's flashed, they move in.

They are not stupid and know that the money is in the LV cabling and not the HV cabling. They also know that LV has fuses or ACB's, and not auto-reclosers.

A builder customer of mine was telling me yesterday about the time they cut through an 11Kv with a JCB.

Nothing left of the bucket.

JCB upside down.

One replacement pair of JCB driver sized trousers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back