Transporting 20 pallets of blocks through a garage...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to start our extension soon and as the site is behind our garage access is difficult. So before timber kit goes up, I need to get 20 pallets of blocks through the garage and stored in the back garden.

Tha back wall of the garage is coming down anyway so the main issue is that the back of the garage is basically mud.

Do any of the national hire companies have a forklift that will work on slightly uneven surface yet go through a 2m high opening (maybe slightly taller, haven't measured yet.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wondered about a pallet truck. But I think I'd need to put a lot of ply down and fairly evenly to be able to pull a pallet truck with a pallet of breeze blocks

Crane them over the top (if your garage is small and there's hardstanding in front of it then a HIAB and long slings might do the job) OR many sheets of shuttering ply on the mud OR get your mates round with a beer inducement and handball the blocks through from front to back. You could try laying a 'road' in the mud with the first pack of blocks and wheeling the rest with a pallet truck but odds of success aren't great. Blocks aren't that bad to handball.......

Sponsored Links
Don't know your age or fitness Daz, but a wheelbarrow with 7 blocks in @ 3mins a trip- 20 trips you've moved 2 packs. Do an hour a night & a couple of hours at the weekend & they're gone in a week.
Simple :)

An avant loader is a great tool for this. Like wise my local lot have a small tele-handler that is only 197cm tall (prob 5 feet wide though)

travis perkins have rough terrain pallet trucks for hire, ordinary pallet trucks will be a waste of time

Are they 3.5's or high density heavy 'uns? If the former then I'd go with the middleagedun's suggestion... keep you warm on these cold winter nights...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back