Trap door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Toying with the idea of a trap door to access out 4ft crawl space under the utility.... I can find loads of loft door kits but no trap door ones?

Anyone know where to buy?

Sponsored Links
It’s more something you make by adding a couple of trimmers to the joists.

Yes I’d need to do that obviously but was looking for a kit with gas struts etc that just drops into the trimmed joists.
There’s a few bespoke cellar door people out there but they look expensive so just wondered if there’s anywhere that does a trap door kit in the same way that there’s loads of loft hatch options?

Loft hatches are something that everyone needs in a new house, also it's critical for vapour tightness, therefore it's mass produced.
FoFlo hatches are almost never needed as usually old houses have a bunch of loose floorboards and new houses don't really have the need for access.
Most of the work would be in making the opening, you would also need to decide what to do with the floor covering. A good carpenter should be able to deal with all that

Sponsored Links
Loft hatches are something that everyone needs in a new house, also it's critical for vapour tightness, therefore it's mass produced.
FoFlo hatches are almost never needed as usually old houses have a bunch of loose floorboards and new houses don't really have the need for access.
Most of the work would be in making the opening, you would also need to decide what to do with the floor covering. A good carpenter should be able to deal with all that

Thanks ... yes normally houses either have a cellar or they don’t. So I get why there’s little need for them. Maybe I could get away with an internal man hole tray?

Floor is chipboard and covering will be LVT

Not seen any manhole with gas struts to be honest. It wouldn't buy you anything anyway, you can just sit a timber cover in place
When i say decide the floor covering i mean you need to decide whether you want to be able to lift the door directly or whether you're happy to lift the floor and then open the door.

Thinking something that I can lift on a regular basis tbh ....it’s quite a useful space for storage. Just seems like a waste

What about some struts from a car breakers and a bit of fab work at your local metal place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back