Treated pine beam span

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

I'm putting up a freestanding patio (5 x 2.6m) with insulated roof panels on top. I've got 6 post footings at the moment but wanted to eliminate the middle 2 posts and just have 4 posts. If I'm using treated pine what size beam would span the 5m? Or is that too far? For roof load, depth is 2.6m, 8.7kg/m2. Low class wind area.

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It's not carrying anything more than the normal design load for a joist if you don't intend to put any imposed load on it. A 50x225 joist would be fine, but double them up to enable a better connection at the posts.

Also ensure you follow the manufacturer guidance for fixings as you will get considerable wind uplift from time to time.

Treated pine means nothing, you have either grade c16 or c24.
Assuming C24 and all they are taking is the dead load of the roof panels i.e. no snow loads a 50 x150 joist would suffice giving you a deflection of 11mm. Wind loads not accounted for and based on Service environment 3 i.e. outside subject to wet conditions

Treated pine means nothing, you have either grade c16 or c24.
Assuming C24 and all they are taking is the dead load of the roof panels i.e. no snow loads a 50 x150 joist would suffice giving you a deflection of 11mm. Wind loads not accounted for and based on Service environment 3 i.e. outside subject to wet conditions

No snow in Sydney haha. Our grades here are mgp10 andn f7 for standard structural building. Higher stress grades are f17 and mgp12 which I'm guessing are similar to your c24.

No snow in Sydney haha. Our grades here are mgp10 andn f7 for standard structural building. Higher stress grades are f17 and mgp12 which I'm guessing are similar to your c24.
My calcs based on BS so please ignore as I'm ignoring The Gabba

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back