Treatment of plaster following damp repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having had a problem with penetrating damp in my bedroom, I'm about to have the whole front of the house re-pointed. On the inside of the wall at one place there is a patch of plaster about 300x300 (mm) which is stained from the effects of the water ingress and a little damp. Otherwise the plaster in the room is fine.

My question is whether it is possible for the plaster to dry out and be re-decorated without having to strip it away and replaster? I understand the wall needs to dry out but wanted to avoid having to strip away plaster if possible.

If that is the only solution, is it possible to strip just a small area of plaster or would it be better to do the whole wall or even the whole room?

Any tips or general advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere - I've had a look but there is alot of info on this site to navigate!

Thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I think if it was me,I would take out that water stained area of plaster and re-plaster it.You say the area is 300x300,which is not a great deal.I would cut away more than that,say half as much again, just to be on the safe side.You didn't say whether your walls inside are solid or lath and plaster.If the walls are lath and plaster,by cutting away a bigger area you will be able to see if there any is anything causing that patch to be on your wall.Before you break away any plaster,cut around it first with a stanley knife and then break it out,that way it will not break out beyond the cut.It would be a very simple job to do.Do this on any wall or ceiling,it is a good tip.If you left the stained patch on the wall,it might just not go away,and would then spoil your decoration.

Regards:Roughcaster.

Thanks, that's really helpful advice. I had a builder come and look at it today because he's doing the re-pointing on the outside (I'm doing the inside). He recommended applying a layer of render to the internal brick face before plastering, and he also said that silicone should be applied to the front of the house. Does this sound like good advice? I must say I do trust him and he's a known local general builder with staff and a good reputation.... just waiting to find out the cost of all of this!!

Thanks again, I'll update this when the work is finished.

Alex

Sponsored Links
Hi Alex,
Good to hear you are making progress with your builder,Yes,silicone on the outside will certainly keep the water at bay,and a coat of render on the inside before plastering will kill any salts that might have come through the new plaster again.To be able to have faith in any tradesman is vital,and a good reputation is something that has to be earned.Stick with it,hope the price is right,and look forward to hearing of your further progress.Thanks for the update.

Regards:Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back