Tree near house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lad is in the process of buying this house, and there’s what looks like a cherry blossom tree in the front garden. The next door house also has the same kind of tree, just visible in the pic.
The basic homebuyers survey didn’t mention the tree, questioned the guy and he said nothing to worry about.
No visible cracking anywhere internally/externally.
Reckon it’s anything to be concerned about or just keep an eye on it? It looks nice to be fair so no plans to get rid of it unless some horrible impact arose to the house in future.
I see you can get specific tree impact surveys but they’re not cheap and not sure whether it’s worth it here…

Sponsored Links
bbbf855a-8b3a-4d84-b625-8079690ebf19.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Depends on the soil type. Cherry is a moderate water demand tree, so with a high shrinkable clay it could be a problem.

> No visible cracking anywhere internally/externally.

There's your answer.

My view is outside of London, most cracking is caused by roots damaging the drains rather than shrink/swell of the soil itself. Certainly the vast majority of ground movement I see in the downwards direction is caused by drainage issues.

Thanks all. I don’t know the soil type, but on balance I’m not overly concerned

I would not buy any houses with a tree that size within 3m (front) to 9m (back) of a house, if the tree is small i would chop it down before it causes issues .

Issues: blocking out sun light, leaves shedding fills gutters and mess all over front of house, high winds could topple tree over the house and potential subsidence issues.

Sometimes the roots can grow under the foundations and dry out the subsoil underneath, causing shrinkage that makes the entire building subside. It'll depend what kind of tree it is as they all root differently.

Sometimes insurance does increase by having a tree near your property.

No issues with that tree at all. Wouldnt put me off buying one bit.

Dont chop it down. Just prune it back and enjoy it.

Dont listen to the scaremongering.

That's a lovely tree in a terrible place. It's far too big, too close so could cause subsidence. Also you'll find out in the autumn that there'll be tiny purple plums with stones all over the place, and purple bird crap all over your car. And as pointed out above, the front room must be dark.

I got my home insurance the other day. A question was whether there's a tree closer than 5m from the building. I don't know what happens if you say yes, they may either charge lots extra or just tell you to go away as they don't want the risk.

Their vigorous sprawling thick growth suggests that they've been previously trimmed back. It's futile, the more you chop, the more it grows.

Get rid completely, plant some nice bushes that are more suitable for the size of the garden.

Given that your tree is one of a pair, there's no point doing anything unless the neighbours agree it needs doing. Talk to them before buying, if they won't go halves on getting rid then buy elsewhere.

Never ask the council about a tree. Some busy-body may slap a tree preservation order on it as a result of you asking.

It actually looks a lot more imposing in the photo than it does in reality. All good points, will bear in mind. Would be surprised if a situation arose where the neighbour refused to cut theirs down if either was causing issues to the houses…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back