Tree +power lines + phone lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,
I've a tree in my garden thats starting to encroach on the phone lines in the road not serving my house (obviously put up long after the tree was around), it also pretty close to the power lines serving my house and nextdoor.
Question is, Does anyone know if I can get BT or electricity company to do the trimming necessary, or am I going to have to pay for this myself?
If i knock down the phone line removing branches, apart from annoying the neighbours, would I have to pay BT to fix them???
Any thoughts appreciated,
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
your tree your problem unfortunatley. you can give power companies a try but i think youll get a short answer!

If you talk to them very nicely they may provide a shroud to sling under the branches to protect while you cut them but alas they will probably insist on a tree surgeon doing the work.

One way might be to find yourself a very handy little tool like a piece of chainsaw (the actual chain itself that is not the motor and handle) which has a handle fixed on each end.
The idea is you fix a line to each end, throw up over a branch, pull the lines until the chain is in position and cut.

practice your throwing and it can be a lot of fun as well as fast.

The advantage is that you are able to cut a high branch in this way without a ridiculously tall step ladder to reach.

The real trick as to why this may help is that with a bit of care you can chop small lengths off the branch and work your way along cutting only a piece that will fall through the power lines without harming them.

Obviously double check nothing is touching the lines as you cut, it can be hard to see thin telephone cable against the sky.

If you leave the lines and tree there is the risk that the tree will grow into the lines and they will be trapped.

Thanks for the info,due to the size of the tree and the proximity of 2 houses as well as the lines, think it's going to be a call to the professionals this time. The branches are already touching the telephone lines, so best get on with it I suppose, wonder what this will cost me :cry:

Sponsored Links
Aberlee said:
wonder what this will cost me :cry:
Get several quotes, check they are fully insured and that know what to do with cables. They should be ok as they are climbing it.
I have a similar situ right now with trees where I work as a gardener. I've managed one, intend to work on the other a little at a time. Luckily there are only GPO cables but they fan out to a neighbouring row of terrace houses so it is really hard and I'm not paid to do risky stuff so I had just as well call in the mob!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back